Posted on May 18, 2019 by Jet, Inc.
Job Title: Senior Buyer
Reports To: Director of Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains software experience required. Under the general supervision of the Director of Operations, and in support of ISO certification and all applicable regulatory certifications, purchases the more complex and technical items, materials, or services; frequently those specially designed and manufactured exclusively for Jet. Transactions require dealing with manufacturers or service providers and may involve persuading potential vendors to evaluate and undertake the manufacturing of custom designed items according to complex and rigid specifications related to the component's effect on finished product regulatory certification. Quantities of items and materials, especially those from overseas suppliers, are often purchased in quantities large enough satisfy production requirements for an extended period of time. Complex schedules of delivery to accommodate seasonal fluctuations and long lead times are often involved. Position may supervisor buyer/planner and/or purchasing compliance position. Typically requires a minimum of five years of previous buying experience.
Examples of Duties/Responsibilities:
- Enter purchase orders for production, engineering, maintenance, services, etc.
- Receive purchase orders and delivery confirmations.
- Update Great Plains with pricing, lead times, safety stock levels, new vendors, correction of Bills of Material errors, etc.
- Review past due purchase orders; contact vendors and adjust purchase order due dates with actual due dates to ensure vendor performance compliance under Jet's quality procedures.
- Send Request for Quotes to new vendors. Negotiate best possible price by evaluating quantity breaks and impact on inventory levels.
- Review excess inventory; ship back to vendor for credit if a stock item.
- Work with vendors to replace defective material or issue credit.
- Review production material requirements weekly; expedite or adjust the due date based on inventory levels and/or production needs and work with accounting to minimize cash impact.
- Enhance profitability by working with production, quality, and/or engineering to identify opportunities for substituting equivalent components and materials at a lower price or better quantity breaks.
- Assist in reviewing negative inventory on hand and forward adjustments to Brand Quality Manager and Accounting Department.
- Ensure maximum utilization of Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains software capabilities to manage material and component procurement effectively and ensure production requirements are met.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements:
Education: Bachelor's degree or High school diploma and relevant work experience.
Experience: Minimum of five years previous buying/planning experience
Specific Skills: MRP experience; ability to accurately interface with computer, inventory & order systems.
Specialized Knowledge, Licenses, etc.: Experience with Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains Software required.
Supervisory Responsibility: Buyer/planner
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
This is light work requiring the exertion of up to 15 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects; work requires stooping, crouching, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken work; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for depth perception, color perception, preparing and analyzing written or computer data of documents at or within arms-length, operation of office machines and determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work; the worker is subject to inside environmental conditions and hazards.
The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Management may, at its discretion, assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The duties and responsibilities in this job description may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.