Business Intelligence Developer
Posted on May 18, 2019 by Hampton Roads Transit
Position: Business Intelligence Developer
Reports To: Director of Enterprise Technology Solutions
The Business Intelligence (BI) Developer is an HRT data expert that works collaboratively with end user departments and applications to develop, implement, and support reports and analytical products that provide accessible information for decision-making. The BI developer uses the data warehouse approach to solve organizational problems through reports, analysis, and data visualization including dashboards. The BI Developer will provide enterprise wide data warehouse expertise with emphasis on data design, processes for import/export, user access, security, and quality of information assets.
Essential Job Functions:
(Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor limit duties that might reasonably be assigned)
- Design, implement, and maintain Hampton Roads Transit's data warehouse using SQL Server Replication, SSIS, SSAS, and SQL Scripting
- Confer with business units and application development staff to understand the business and technical applications in use and assist in developing traceable metrics for key performance parameters of each one
- Develop Extraction, Transformation and Loading (ETL) processes to acquire and load data from internal and external sources
- Design, build and deploy BI solutions (eg reporting tools)
- Maintain and support data analytics platforms
- Create tools to store data
- Evaluate and improve existing BI systems
- Develop and execute database queries and conduct analyses
- Create visualizations and reports for requested projects
- Develop and update technical documentation
- Develop web-based user interfaces for automated and manual data transfer processes
- Develop, communicate, and monitor project schedules and resource plans
- Provide database administration support during deployments and migrations
- Build database models, dashboards, reports, interfaces for BI packages
- Contributes to a knowledge-sharing environment by creating project documents and giving presentations
- Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures
- Responsible for maintaining awareness of HRT's EMS
- Identify data security issues and recommend solutions
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance with HRT's Environment Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
Required Knowledge Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
- Required Skills: Analytical, Design, Technical, Customer Relations, Problem Solving, Communication
- Extensive knowledge of SQL queries, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) and SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Demonstrated detailed knowledge of BI areas including ETL design, analytics and reporting
- Strong SQL Scripting abilities and understanding of complex stored procedures, views, data aggregation/manipulation through table joins/queries, database design, normalization and de-normalization techniques
- Demonstrated experience in data extraction and manipulation, ETL techniques required
- In-depth understanding of database management systems, online analytical processing (OLAP) and ETL (Extract, transform, load) framework
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Power BI and Data Visualization
- Working knowledge in data warehouse design (eg dimensional modelling) and data mining
- Basic Web Programming Working knowledge (eg HTTP, HTML, XML, JSON, MySQL)
- Possess excellent written and verbal skills. Ability to communicate effectively with different levels of management as well as both the business and technical communities. Good critical and analytical thinking.
- Ability to effectively convey information and work well in a structured environment with other team members
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously
Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Proficiency in using computer systems and the listed software applications associated with performance of assigned work is essential. Basic problem-solving skills associated with software applications used is expected. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated.
Advanced proficiency in MS Office Suite and SQL Server Reporting and Integration Services. Working knowledge of MS Power BI.
Training and/or Education:
Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, computer programming, or analytics.
3-5 years' experience in Business Intelligence development and database programming/data warehousing environments
Licenses or Certificates:
Virginia Driver's License
BI and/or Database Certifications preferred
This position is classified as essential personnel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a timely basis. Duties may require some overtime.