Front Office Development Manager
Posted on May 18, 2019 by Schroders
IT at Schroders is not just about technology; it's about problem solving using cutting edge technology to support the business and deliver high end solutions. We encourage innovation and value excellence. We are a global function that's managed locally and this allows us to develop and deploy systems and processes across our international offices. To learn how we've grown, explore our interactive timeline to see how we've been shaping financial futures since our very beginnings.
The Investment Engineering technology function supports a number of front office businesses in building out and maintaining a stable operating environment that can function at multiple speeds. Our primary goal is to deliver value to our customers.
The teams within Investment Engineering operate under a bespoke agile operating model (based on the SAFe methodology) facing off to defined capabilities within our business.
We also recognise that successfully balancing personal and professional commitments brings out the best in our teams and therefore all roles in Global Technology are reviewed for suitability for flexible working arrangements, with this specific opportunity available to applicants from 3 to 5 days per week. We passionately believe that individual performance is enhanced by embracing the whole individual and structuring a working environment that supports them.
You will be responsible for leading a small team of RAD developers delivering solutions to the Front Office within Schroders. Your primary customers are our Fixed Income, Multi Asset and Portfolio Solutions businesses but your remit covers all Investment divisions globally. Solutions are typically developed in Microsoft stack technologies but there is an increasing push to embrace new, quantitative technologies like Python, R, Shiny etc.
• Responsible for agreeing the backlog (with relevant priority) with multiple business stakeholders.
• Responsible for defining a development methodology and framework for building end user tools.
• Line Management responsibility for the UDT Solutions team.
• Define, maintain and implement the Schroders policy for end user tools (in conjunction with the Global Risk team)
• Monitor, manage and control all development activities, services & suppliers to ensure adherence to policies and standards and to maximise ROI.
• Responsibility for research into new technologies and evaluating benefits to the improvement and enhancement of the Front Office architecture.
• Responsibility for Management information and reporting.
• Educated to at least undergraduate degree level in a numerate subject, preferably computer science or similar
• Basic professional qualifications relating to the asset management industry (such as IMC) are preferred
• Ability to deal credibly with business and technical users at all levels of the organisation, with strong senior stakeholder management skills
• An individual with both strong business and technical skills, must have detailed knowledge of Investment Management Front Office workflows
• Strong understanding of software development and architecture principles and Microsoft technologies
• Strong people management and leadership skills, must have the ability to drive collaboration across stakeholder groups and IT teams
• Inter-personal skills; tact, patience, courtesy, good listening skills
• Strong self-organisation, time management and prioritisation skills, with the ability to work on multiple priorities in parallel
• Ability to operate under pressure and deliver to demanding deadlines
• Is able to provide a mentoring capability to team members
• Comfortable working in a fast paced environment & reacting proactively to change
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
£45k - £45k Annual
£400 - £425 Daily
£650 - £650 Daily
£120k - £120k Annual