Posted on May 17, 2019 by Kirkwood Community College
Hiring 2 positions.
- Sunday-Thursday 2nd shift (Sunday daytime).
- Tuesday-Saturday 2nd shift (Saturday daytime).
To advance the college's mission, vision, principles, values and strategic initiatives through continuous improvement decisions.
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
Under limited supervision, perform custodial and minor maintenance work on a flexible schedule as required for general maintenance of buildings and equipment. Will be responsible for equipment, expendable supplies, and campus keys. May be exposed to confidential information.
UNIVERSAL CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Advocate for Continual Improvement- empowering each other to identify opportunities for excellence.
- Collaborate with Mutual Accountability- working together with a willingness to take ownership and account for our actions.
- Champion Service- anticipating needs and create a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive environment.
- Perseverance- commitment to excellence even in the face of adversity or delay in achieving success.
- Lead- regardless of title, through positive influence.
- Perform daily custodial duties to an assigned area.
- Maintain carpets in rooms, hallways, stairs, and entryways by vacuuming and shampooing.
- Scrub, strip, wax, and buff all hard surface floors.
- Schedule carpet and hard surface floor cleaning.
- Clean and sanitize restrooms.
- Maintain windows, walls, chalkboards, and ceiling tiles in a clean and sanitary condition.
- Change various size light bulbs at various heights up to 12 feet.
- Perform minor plumbing, electrical, mechanical repairs and take appropriate corrective action.
- Assist with Preventative Maintenance Schedule.
- Operate snow removal equipment such as plows, blowers, shovels, and sanders.
- Set up or move furniture and equipment as required.
- Assemble materials and supplies from the supply room and transfer to work area.
- Assist with training new custodian/maintenance.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Be able and willing to always represent the College in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with coworkers and supervisory personnel.
- Safely operate, maintain, and detect defects in equipment and make minor repairs or adjustments.
- Working knowledge of vacuums, wet vacs, shampoo machines, buffers, and other standard cleaning equipment. Knowledge of use of common cleaning implements such as mops, brooms, and cleaners to keep areas clean and serviced.
- Operate equipment using appropriate safety precautions.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions in the job involved.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Must be able to work weekends on a rotating schedule and/or must be able to work flexible hours. Rotate assigned areas every 3-4 years or as needed.
- Welcome, value, and nurture people of all backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, as well as support and promote an environment that accepts differences.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential job duties/responsibilities and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES WITH/WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION:
- Light to medium work. Position involves exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally (10-33%); up to 20 pounds frequently (34-66%); and up to 10 pounds constantly (67?100%) to move objects.
- Physically able to perform constant (67-100%) and routine stooping, bending, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting and grasping.
- Occasional (10-33%) crawling and kneeling.
Potentially subject to biohazardous waste; chemical waste; moving mechanical parts; electrical current; working on scaffolding and high places up to 25 feet; atmospheric conditions that may affect the respiratory system or the skin; fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases or poor ventilation; noise; and vibration; and inside and outside environmental conditions.
Person in this position must satisfactorily complete Kirkwood's Blood Borne Pathogens training because of the potential exposure risk to blood or body fluids. Must satisfactorily complete Kirkwood's CPR/First Aid training and Right to Know program as a member of the Emergency Response and Control Team.
- High school diploma or GED.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS FOR EXPERIENCE:
- Two years of custodial/maintenance or related work experience.
- Must have valid driver's license.
Kirkwood Community College declares and affirms that it values and respects diversity and inclusion in all College-sponsored events, all employment practices, and all educational programs and activities. The College will not tolerate unlawful discrimination or harassment of persons on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, religion, or disability.
Anyone who has questions or complaints should contact the Vice President of Human Resources at Kirkwood Community College, 313 Kirkwood Hall, 6301 Kirkwood Blvd., SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404, or by phone to , or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison Street, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60, Telephone: , Fax: , Email: .