Management Accountant - Interim
Posted on May 14, 2019 by ECMWF
Interim Management Accountant
Closing date: 14 May 2019
Interviews for this position are expected to take place on 30 & 31 May 2019.
ECMWF is both a research institute and a 24/7 operational service, producing and disseminating numerical weather predictions to its Member States. ECMWF carries out scientific and technical research directed to the improvement of its forecasts, collects and processes large amounts of observations, and manages a long-term archive of meteorological data. Satellite and in situ observations provide the information for up-to-date global analyses and climate reanalyses of the atmosphere, ocean and land surface.
The Finance Team is continuously evolving to reflect the changing needs of ECMWF. The recent addition of a number of high value internal and external projects requires a more flexible team environment with a view to improving client service whilst maintaining the highest levels of control and effectiveness. As part of these changes, a new Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system has recently been implemented improving accounting and HR processes facilitating the provision of more timely and better quality financial information
This position sits within the Finance Section of the Administration Department and will play a key part in the financial processes of ECMWF and will involve building excellent relationships with colleagues from across the organisation, including a number of external organisations. Therefore, the successful candidate will be expected to interact and articulate with confidence their knowledge in their area of responsibility in relation to all project and external funding. As the Finance Team is in a period of change, there will need to embrace any changes and continuously look to improve the financial controls and processes currently in place.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Producing the monthly management accounts on a cash accounting basis, including compilation of forecasts for the current year involving liaising with the various budget holders at the Centre;
- Producing the annual budgeting to include detailed spend analysis, liaising with budget holders and preparation of various scenario for consideration by the Finance Committee and Council;
- Producing the annual Financial Statement of Accounts prepared under International Public-Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) including reconciliation of results under IPSAS compared with those prepared under a cash basis;
- Providing cash flow projections ensuring sufficient funds for operations in both Euro and Sterling
- Liaising with internal and external auditors and with other external bodies in relation to the specific financial area of responsibility
- Supporting the financial management of internal projects for movement of the Data Centre to Bologna (BOND programme) and the UK Future Accommodation (UKFA) project which is ensuring suitable facilities for the Centre's staff. This could include preparation of forecasts, explanation of variances to budget, evaluation of financial elements of tenders for new contracts, reconciliation of headcount and staff costs with careful consideration to overlap with core budget and preparation of financial reports as required
- Developing processes and better utilisation of the functionality of the new ERP system to improve the timeliness and ease of producing monthly management accounts, cashflow and budget
- Ensuring compliancy with external and internal rules and regulations, with a willingness to explain and guide others as required
- Providing general support to the Finance Section, including developing ad hoc reports as required
- Solution-oriented with a strong understanding of how to evaluate the financial, commercial, and strategic implications of ECMWF's activities
- Ability to communicate complex financial concepts with scientific and technical staff that do not have a financial background and to develop a common understanding of the issues and potential resolutions
- Capacity to manage a range of conflicting, and urgent issues to tight deadlines
- Good relationship management skills, including the ability to gain credibility with key stakeholders across the organisation and the user community
- Excellent communication skills, together with demonstrated experience of team working within projects
- Strong analytical and excellent organisational skills are essential
- Embraces change and continuously look to improve financial controls and processes
- Ability to understand and embrace new concepts
Qualifications and experience required
University degree in a finance related subject or a relevant professional qualification is required.
Knowledge and Skills
Good demonstrated recent experience in a similar finance-related role, preferably in an international organisation.
Experience of producing both management accounts and financial statements of account including all the relevant notes and analysis.
Knowledge and experience of accounting using the IPSAS framework would be an advantage.
Experience of using Business World (previously known as Agresso) would be desirable.
Experience of providing analysis and reports for decision-making, including the use of core accounting systems combined with report writers such as Excelerator or similar.
Experience working in an international, multi-lingual environment is desirable.
Experience of working in an international organisation, established by Convention with State-level membership, combined with a good understanding of the issues facing international organisations would be an advantage.
Expert-level Microsoft Office skills, with an emphasis on Excel and Word.
Excellent writing and presentation skills.
Candidates must be able to work effectively in English and interviews will be conducted in English.
A good knowledge of one of the Centre's other working languages (French or German) would be an advantage. Some knowledge of Italian would also be desirable.
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A2 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £59,228.40 net of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-SP as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website, including the Centre's Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date:Ideally, on 1 July 2019, or ASAP thereafter.
Length of contract: 12 months with possibility of extension depending on available funding.
Location: The position will be based in the Reading area, in Berkshire, United Kingdom.
How to apply
Please apply by completing the online application form available at our website.
To contact the ECMWF Recruitment Team, please email (see below)
At ECMWF, we consider an inclusive environment as key for our success. We are dedicated to ensuring a workplace that embraces diversity and provides equal opportunities for all, without distinction as to race, gender, age, marital status, social status, disability, sexual orientation, religion, personality, ethnicity and culture. We value the benefits derived from a diverse workforce and are committed to having staff that reflect the diversity of the countries that are part of our community, in an environment that nurtures equality and inclusion.
Staff are usually recruited from among nationals of the following Member States and Co-operating States:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Hungary, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Morocco, the Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.
Staff from other countries may be considered in exceptional cases.