Medical Lab Technician (MLT) - Nights
Posted on May 1, 2019 by Ascension
Position: Medical Lab Technician (MLT)
Department: General Lab Anc 001
Location: St Vincent's East - Trussville, AL
Shift: FT; Nights; 8on/6off; 10:30pm - 7am
What You Will Do:
As the Medical Lab Technician (MLT) with St. Vincent's Health System, you will have the opportunity to perform routine diagnostic/analytic testing of laboratory specimens, and interprets, documents and reports test results under the supervision of a medical technologist/medical laboratory scientist.
- Implements, validates, and reports laboratory test results.
- Performs instrument maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Conducts quality control and quality assurance testings.
- Maintains supplies needed for performance of tests.
- Assists with data collection or special projects as assigned.
- Demonstrates in depth knowledge of the policies and procedures for patient preparation, sample requirements, specimen collection, and pre-analytical factors that affect sample quality.
- Responsible for training and mentoring of staff and students.
- Required Credential(s):
- One or more of the following:
- Clinical Laboratory Technician obtained within 18 Months (1 1/2 year) of hire date or job transfer date.
- AMT is acceptable in lieu of ASCP certification. Must pass generalist certification exam within 18 months of date of hire.
- Laboratory Tech obtained within 18 Months (1 1/2 year) of hire date or job transfer date.
- Laboratory Tech credentialed from the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC) obtained within 18 Months (1 1/2 year) of hire date or job transfer date.
- One or more of the following:
- High school diploma/GED with 2 years of experience, or Associate's degree, or Technical degree required
St. Vincent's Health System, part of Ascension, is made up of St. Vincent's Birmingham, St. Vincent's Blount, St. Vincent's East, St. Vincent's St. Clair, St. Vincent's One Nineteen Health and Wellness, and the St. Vincent's Ambulatory Healthcare Network, which includes a wide range of services, from family care to home health. Together, we provide a special brand of personalized, compassionate care that balances high touch with high tech, meeting the needs of people in more than 40 communities.
- Leading with Mission: Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide everything we do at Ascension. They are foundational to our work to transform healthcare and express our priorities when providing care and services, particularly to those most in need
- One Ascension: We are One Ascension. We share a drive to care for people and provide the best possible outcomes for our patients. Personalized care is our calling, and teamwork is the way we provide it.
- More Than a Job: Working for Ascension is more than just a job. It's a career where your talent and passion for delivering quality healthcare can make a difference for patients, team members, and the community.
- Power of Purpose: For us, work is more than the place we go each day. It's an environment that nurtures relationships, connects talent, and understands patients so we can provide holistic care that treats the whole person: body, mind and spirit. Our innovative approach impacts and influences the community that we serve.
- Compensation/Benefits: At Ascension, we provide a competitive compensation package inclusive of a wide range of flexible benefit options. We support work-life balance through generous paid time off and encourage spirituality in the workplace.
- Wellbeing Programs: Transforming healthcare starts with taking care of our associates. We know our associates are busy and on the go. We provide our team resources and tools to help them proactively manage their physical, spiritual, and emotional wellbeing.
- Strength in our People: At Ascension, we believe our people are our strength and we invest in them. In addition to the chance to have a positive impact on the people and communities we serve, associates benefit from significant professional opportunities, career advancement, training and competitive wages. We also support work-life balance and spirituality in the workplace.
St. Vincent's East is licensed for 362 beds and is located just 20 minutes from downtown. It sits between Irondale and Trussville, AL. It is a general medical and surgical facility that offers a variety of programs and services to fit individual, corporate, and community needs. It is the second largest Ascension hospital in the Birmingham area. It is situated on a hill overlooking the beautiful community of Trussville, AL. This hospital has a suburban feel; which appeals to those outlying communities that prefer not to have to drive downtown.
St. Vincent's East provides all the service lines that our downtown hospital provides except for Birth Suites and NICU which is exclusive to our downtown location. It is the home for our only Behavioral Health service line and offers a level III Emergency Department.
- Great location with suburban feel - for patients not wanting to drive downtown.
- Part of the largest faith based, not for profit hospitals in Alabama.
- Behavioral Health Facility on the East campus.
- Free and easy parking for hospital and physical appointments.
- Offers all the major service lines except Birth Suites/NICU.
- Easy access from many rural communities.
- Hospital has a longstanding presence in the community.
- Excellent staff that provides care for those in their community.
As an equal opportunity employer, St. Vincent's and all its ministries comply with all applicable employment laws and regulations. In order to provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at St. Vincent's and all its ministries based on merit, qualifications and abilities.
Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, age or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
St. Vincent's participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.
E-Verify (link to E-Verify site)