Mechanical Engineer - Manufacturing
Posted on Apr 17, 2019 by TE Connectivity
The Aerospace, Defense and Marine (Aerospace, Defense and Marineor AD&M) business unit of TE is part of the Industrial Solutions segment (Industrial Solutions) and is a world leader in the design of components and electrical interconnection solutions that are used for applications in extreme and rigorous environments. These interconnection solutions make possible applications of avionics, jet and propulsion engine management, flight controls, grounding systems and on-board entertainment (EAB) for today's "connected aircraft". This capability is extended to military, marine, aviation, space, land and drone vehicles, as well as oil and gas exploration of open-ocean deposits. TE offers solutions for enhanced connectivity that work and resist in the most extreme environments on Earth, from the deepest oceans to the ends of space. In your relentless activities to save space and weight, improve data delivery and power, you will find that AD&M is ready to collaborate with your design team to help you present your product more quickly in the market with smarter and better interconnect solutions.
TE Connectivity's Manufacturing and Process Development Engineering Teams significantly impact LEANPD driven new product development projects, driving for excellence in existing manufacturing technologies and methods and striving to implement new manufacturing technologies to provide improved process and tolerance control. They act as the binding element between product development and manufacturing engineering, ensuring the effectiveness and efficiency of this critical interface. They support Product Development in the optimization of designs and piece parts for manufacturability by realizing sample tooling/products/prototypes. They also design, develop, and qualify tooling and processes to meet TE quality and production standards, document all processes and tooling in applicable TE systems, support supply chain to verify supplier compliance and capability, initiate and implement programs to continuously improve quality, cost and cycle time and adhere to all appropriate specifications, regulatory requirements and customer requirements.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
The Wire & Cable facility in Culpeper Virginia is part of the Aerospace, Defense and Marine business unit of TE, and is a world leader in the design of electrical, optical and mechanical cable solutions used for applications in extreme and rigorous environments. This capability is extended to military and industrial applications as well as ocean research and offshore oil and gas exploration.
TE Connectivity's wire and cable facility in Culpeper VA is currently seeking a highly motivated engineer to sustain and improve our manufacturing processes as well as manage machine upgrades and new machine installations. These processes include steel wire drawing, extrusion, cable assembly and cable armoring.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Actively participate in safety programs. Implement solutions initiated by these activities to resolve or prevent safety issues.
- Lead process development projects in the design, build, conditioning and installation of manufacturing equipment.
- Evaluate new product designs as well as changes to existing products to ensure they can be produced to meet specifications safely and efficiently. Recommend and provide cost estimates for process changes when current capabilities are lacking.
- Estimate tooling and process costs and manage project budgets
- Utilize product nonconformance and scrap data to drive process improvements through enhanced procedures, error-proofing and the integration of new technology.
- Create and update work instructions and visual standards, working closely with production supervisors/operators to solicit support and team engagement.
- Work with Global Engineering teams in the sharing of best practices.
- Support Lean Manufacturing and Visual Management initiatives
- Mechanical or Industrial Engineering Degree with 5+ years of experience in manufacturing is highly preferred. Open to candidates with less experience as well.
- Experience with wire and cable manufacturing is preferred.
- Experience with the steel wire drawing process is desired
- Competency with computer drawing software (CAD)
- Must be able to work in a hands-on environment, interacting closely with manufacturing operators and supervision as well as the maintenance crews.
- Sound project management skills.
- Proficient in MS Office Software such as Excel, Word, Outlook, and Access.
- Working knowledge of lean manufacturing tools. A Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt is valuable.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic global environment with multiple changing priorities
- Values: Integrity, Accountability,Teamwork, Innovation