Posted on Apr 17, 2019 by Delaware North
The Peaks of Otter are three exceptional mountain peaks situated close together in the Blue Ridge Mountains overlooking the town of Bedford, Virginia. They include Sharp Top, with an altitude of 3,875 feet (1,181 m); Flat Top, with an altitude of 4,004 feet (1,220 m); and Harkening Hill, with an altitude of 3,375 feet (1,029 m). Abbott Lake lies at their feet. The National Park Service preserves the peaks and lake as part of the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Jefferson National Forest.
Several trails offer hikers the opportunity to explore the peaks and surrounding countryside on foot. The least challenging is a one-mile loop around picturesque Abbott Lake. More demanding is the one and one-half mile course to the summit of Sharp Top. Make the climb and be rewarded with a 360°-view of the peak and its surroundings.
In the mid-1900s, the location was selected for special attention as the National Park Service developed recreation and service areas along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Abbott Lake was constructed and Peaks of Otter Lodge opened in 1964. Today, the property includes 63 rooms all with views of scenic Abbott Lake and majestic Sharp Top Mountain. While some things have changed over the years, the appeal of the region's Blue Ridge Mountains is still as timeless and captivating as ever.
The Bartender is responsible for the service of bar beverages to the lodge. Serve bar beverages and food to guests in a friendly, prompt and professional manner. Gather all necessary bar supplies garnishes, spirits and bar utensils to properly set up the bar according to Peaks of Otter Standards and drink recipes. Ensure that minors and intoxicated persons are not served alcoholic beverages. In addition, responsibilities extend to making beverages for the server's guests in the dining room. This position requires comprehensive knowledge of food and beverage preparations, service standards, guest relations and etiquette. Knowledge of all applicable federal, state and local health and safety regulations is also required.
- Offer guests of the restaurant and lounge an enjoyable, expertly served beverage/dining experience
- Bartenders must be familiar with all hotel outlets and features along with hours of operation
- All staff must greet guests as they enter within 2 minutes with a smile and make eye contact with the guest within 5 feet
- Ability to follow directions
- Responsible for setting up, serving, maintaining and breaking down the bar
- Ability to carry large and heavy trays on a continuous basis throughout a shift
- Bartenders must remain professional and efficient at all times during service
- The Bartender must have a thorough knowledge of the specials of the day and able to elegantly describe the ingredients, methods of preparation and flavors of each special
- All food and beverages must be transported on a tray and placed onto a tray jack
- Back-of-the-house areas must remain a neat, clean and organized environment at all times
- Ascertain a guest's satisfaction and handle any problems which may arise, informing a manager of the problem and how it was resolved.
- Respect guest confidentiality
- Follow proper payroll and uniform procedures, wear proper uniform and maintain high standards in regards to personal appearance as outlined in the Employee handbook
- Check schedule on a regular basis for changes. Arrive at your work area at the scheduled start time
- Be aware of appearance, quality of work, and attitudes with guests
- Report unsafe conditions to management. Properly handle and report employee/guest accidents
- Other duties as requested by management to service guests of the Lodge.
- One to three years Banquet Food and Beverage Experience
- ServSafe Alcohol Certification - provided on the job
- Previous experience as a server, or similar guest service position strongly preferred
- Ability to remain on feet for entire length of shift
- Constant standing, walking, bending, reaching and repetitive motions.
- Ability to maneuver between tables and around corners.
- Ability to lift, balance and move large food trays, weighing up to 35 lbs.
- Visual acuity and hearing sufficient to take orders and prepare bills.
- Variable temperatures - required to move between hot, noisy conditions of kitchen and climate-controlled dining environment
- Noise level may be moderate to high during busy times
Delaware North Companies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Who We Are Take your career beyond the ordinary-to the extraordinary.
At Delaware North, you'll love where you work, who you work with, and how your day unfolds. Whether it's in sporting venues, casinos, airports, national parks, iconic hotels, or premier restaurants, there's no telling where your career can ultimately take you. We empower you to do great work in a company with 100 years of success, stability and growth. If you have drive and enjoy the thrill of making things happen - share our vision, grow with us.
Delaware North is one of the largest privately held hospitality companies in the world. Founded in 1915 and owned by the Jacobs family for more than 100 years, Delaware North has global operations at high-profile places such as sports and entertainment venues, national and state parks, destination resorts and restaurants, airports, and regional casinos. Our 55,000 employee associates are dedicated to creating special experiences one guest at a time in serving more than a half-billion guests annually. Delaware North operates in the sports, travel hospitality, restaurant and catering, parks, resorts, gaming, and specialty retail industries and has annual revenue of about $3 billion. Learn more about Delaware North, a global leader in hospitality, at .
All applicants will be subject to a pre-employment background check and may be subject to a pre-employment drug test depending upon the position and/or client requirements.
Delaware North Companies, Incorporated and its subsidiaries consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. Delaware North is an equal opportunity employer.