Cook 1 - Entry Level - Peaks of Otter Lodge, Bedford, Virginia
Posted on Apr 17, 2019 by Delaware North
The Peaks of Otter are three exceptional mountain peaks situated close together in the Blue Ridge Mountains overlooking the town of Bedford, Virginia. They include Sharp Top, with an altitude of 3,875 feet (1,181 m); Flat Top, with an altitude of 4,004 feet (1,220 m); and Harkening Hill, with an altitude of 3,375 feet (1,029 m). Abbott Lake lies at their feet. The National Park Service preserves the peaks and lake as part of the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Jefferson National Forest.
Several trails offer hikers the opportunity to explore the peaks and surrounding countryside on foot. The least challenging is a one-mile loop around picturesque Abbott Lake. More demanding is the one and one-half mile course to the summit of Sharp Top. Make the climb and be rewarded with a 360°-view of the peak and its surroundings.
In the mid-1900s, the location was selected for special attention as the National Park Service developed recreation and service areas along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Abbott Lake was constructed and Peaks of Otter Lodge opened in 1964. Today, the property includes 63 rooms all with views of scenic Abbott Lake and majestic Sharp Top Mountain. While some things have changed over the years, the appeal of the region's Blue Ridge Mountains is still as timeless and captivating as ever.
Position Details PREP COOK
*Seasonal Performance Bonus Available*
Position Summary : Responsible for preparing high quality food items on a timely basis
- Cook and prepare food items according to recipes and quality standards
- Maintain current knowledge of menu and products
- Prepare food items for cooking
- Stock food items as needed
- Clean and maintain kitchen and food prep equipment
- Maintain proper sanitation controls
- Comply with safety and quality standards
- Retrieves and transports necessary food products to cooking line
- Performs other duties as required by management
- Prepares sauces, vegetables, meat, fish and poultry items properly
- High school diploma or GED
- Prior cooking experience
- Food safe handling licence3/training preferred
- Must know the English language, both spoken and written - able to read & interpret documents such as safety rules DN C Alcohol Regulations, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Standing for entire shift
- Lifting up to 40-50 lbs. with frequent twisting, bending, lifting, and reaching
- Dishwashing Machine
- Other Kitchen equipment
At Delaware North, you'll love where you work, who you work with, and how your day unfolds. Whether it's in sporting venues, casinos, airports, national parks, iconic hotels, or premier restaurants, there's no telling where your career can ultimately take you. We empower you to do great work in a company with 100 years of success, stability and growth. If you have drive and enjoy the thrill of making things happen - share our vision, grow with us.
Delaware North is one of the largest privately held hospitality companies in the world. Founded in 1915 and owned by the Jacobs family for more than 100 years, Delaware North has global operations at high-profile places such as sports and entertainment venues, national and state parks, destination resorts and restaurants, airports, and regional casinos. Our 55,000 employee associates are dedicated to creating special experiences one guest at a time in serving more than a half-billion guests annually. Delaware North operates in the sports, travel hospitality, restaurant and catering, parks, resorts, gaming, and specialty retail industries and has annual revenue of about $3 billion. Learn more about Delaware North, a global leader in hospitality, at .
All applicants will be subject to a pre-employment background check and may be subject to a pre-employment drug test depending upon the position and/or client requirements.
Delaware North Companies, Incorporated and its subsidiaries consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. Delaware North is an equal opportunity employer.