Registered Nurse PAT
Posted on Apr 17, 2019 by MedStar Medical Group LLC
- Job Summary
- Responsible for providing competent professional nursing care using the nursing process. Pre-Anesthesia testing is the preparation of a patient before surgery. Pre-Testing ensures that all necessary medical information is obtained and all preoperative requirements are completed prior to the day of surgery. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Medical Group Anesthesia's (MMGA) philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing; Bachelor's degree or higher in Nursing preferred.
- 2 years of Pre-operative or Medical/Surgical care with telemetry experience is required. Experience with Cerner electronic medical record (EMR) is an asset.
- Current RN Licensure in the District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia; Current CPR certification; Current Basic Life Support (BLS) for healthcare provider required.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to perform the nursing technologies. Effective verbal and written communication skills. Must be a quick thinker and able to remain cal and professional in a face pace environment. Exceptional customer service skills, including effective listening skills and service recovery. Ability to set priorities and work under stress. Must be flexible, adaptive and willing to take on new challenges.
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Clinical Practice: Assesses patients to determine if they need an appointment for specialized evaluations, preoperative blood tests, and/or diagnostic testing.
- Clinical Practice: Captures pertinent health data and assess the patient in coordination with anesthesia providers.
- Clinical Practice: Demonstrates professional practice utilizing the framework of the professional practice model and is grounded in a culture of safety and quality.
- Clinical Practice: Effectively identifies anesthesia risk in advance of surgery; thereby minimizing day of surgery cancellations.
- Clinical Practice: Performs clinical functions during the pre-anesthesia phase of care.
- Clinical Practice: Provides emotional support and extensive patient education to assist in setting realistic postoperative expectation and prepare patients for the day of surgery.
- Clinical Practice: Provides relationship-based care that promotes continuous, consistent, efficient and accountable delivery of nursing care using the nursing process.
- Communication: Communicates and collaborates with inter-professional groups to ensure coordination, continuity and safe care.
- Communication: Communicates verbal information and documents written and electronic information that reflects the planned and delivered care for patients.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Education: Incorporates evidence-based practice and research into patient care delivery.
- Education: Participates in professional development activities.
- Education: Serves as a preceptor/mentor.
- Leadership: Demonstrates advocacy and support on behalf of inter-professional teams and patients.
- Leadership: Supports and contributes to the unit, department and organization goals inclusive of the mission, vision and values.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams as appropriate. Participates in meetings, serves on committees and represents the department and hospital/facility in community outreach efforts as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
MedStar Medical Group LLC
The University of Maryland Medical System
General Healthcare Resources, Inc.
The University of Maryland Medical System