Emergency Room Tech - Emergency Room - PRN
Posted on Apr 16, 2019 by CHI St. Vincent
Scheduled Hours per 2 week Pay Period: 0
Primary Location: AR > HOT SPRINGS > CHI HOSPITAL HOT SPRINGS
Work under the general supervision of the ED Director and Unit Manager/Charge Nurse. Responsible to assist the Physicians and Nursing staff in caring for the Emergency Department patients. Must demonstrate skill competency and quality customer service according to SVHS missions, values and strategies.
1. Education and training-the Paramedic must be certified in AR-EMTP. Must hold and maintain a current Arkansas license.
2. Must be physically able to life at least 75 pounds, walk long distances, bend and stretch. Must have manual dexterity to be able to perform fine motor tasks of the position. Must be multi-task oriented and able to keep up with a very busy and ever changing environment.
NATURE AND BACKGROUND:
1. The Paramedic in the ED must be able to perform a variety of tasks assisting patients and nurses in specified pre-approved procedures. Must demonstrate technical, clerical and interpersonal skills. Must have strong organizational skills to effectively handle a heavy workload and maintain efficiency in the work environment, often under stressful work conditions. Maintaining a cool and calm demeanor, being flexible and adaptable to quick change in patient load.
2. Must have a thorough understanding of patient care, patient flow, and ability to provide quality customer service, and maintain a good working knowledge of the unit.
Arkansas Department of Health EMS Rules and Regulations 1995 state: Pursuant to ACT 293 of 1981, if a hospital wishes to permit an Arkansas Certified Emergency Technician to perform specified procedures within the Emergency Room or as a member of an emergency code team functioning elsewhere in the hospital the medical staff must approve the privileges granted to the individual EMT with the concurrence of the hospital s governing body. In no event, however may an EMT perform a procedure on a patient in a hospital that he or she is not certified to do by the Division of EMS and Trauma Systems, Arkansas Department of Health.
I. Approved EMT Paramedic must function under the direct supervision of either the physician or the Registered Nurse responsible for emergency services within the hospital.
*Nurse must assess each patient and is responsible for each patient.
II. A roster with the delineation of privileges will be maintained in the files of the supervisor of the respective department of employment and in the files of the administrator.
DUTIES TO INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
1. Responsible for correct identification of all patients prior to any procedure or transport.
2. Responsible to demonstrate competency in use, care and location of Emergency Department equipment for patient care.
3. Responsible to document on patient record appropriately.
4. Responsible to perform tasks by utilizing resources in an efficient and timely manner.
5. Responsible to maintain and utilize appropriate infection control measures, use of personal protective equipment to meet OSHA guidelines for a clean and safe work environment.
6. Responsible to meet requirements for emergency and safety preparedness. Must observe all safety regulations.
7. Must demonstrate good judgement in emergency care. Recognizing the need for emergency intervention, and respond appropriately and timely within job description. Notification of appropriate personnel, i.e.: ED Physician and or Charge Nurse.
8. Must interact well with patients, visitors and other hospital personnel, with demonstration of good interpersonal skills.
9. Must be responsible and accountable for his or her level of service with competent demonstration of Patient Care, and performance of procedures, while maintaining a professional attitude required by SVHS s values.
10. Demonstrate competency in assessing patients after initial assessment by RN.
11. Works under the direction of the ED RN, demonstrating good problem solving capabilities.
12. Safely administers medications utilizing the 5 patient rights, preparing, administering, and documenting appropriately. Only administers medications on the State approved medication list from EMS/Arkansas Dept. of Health.
13. Performs prescribed/ordered treatments timely and without errors.
14. Appropriately maintains responsibility and accountability for patient care and tasks and procedures performed.
15. Complies with professional standards of practice and expected standards of care. Is aware of and adheres to the Arkansas rules and regulations.
16. Communicates pertinent data concerning the client s status and changes in plan of care with members of the health team to ensure continuity of care to physicians, co-workers, supervisors, and patients.
17. Must maintain knowledge level for specialty area, staying current with new trends and treatments.
18. Must comply with the organizational policies. Follow dress code according to the SVHS employee policy. Must wear proper identification badge and identify self and title to patients and visitors.
19. Absolutely must maintain patient confidentiality 100% of the time.
20. Maintain good working relationships and function actively as part of the team.
1. Wound Care and application of dressings.
2. Suture Removal
3. Assisting Physicians with the following procedures:
Chest Tube insertion
Cast application and splitting
Incision and drainage
Insertion of peripheral lines
Insertion of urinary catheters
Mediation administration according to State approved list, (see list)
*NO MEDS GIVEN UNTIL MEDICAL STAFF APPROVAL.
*NO NARCOTICS per PHARMACY
Application of Orthopedic splints
Obtaining and interpreting vital signs, to include pulse oximetry and cardiac monitoring for dysrhythmias
Operate poisondex/indentex system
Operate EMS equipment
Set up IV s with plum pumps
Perform capillary blood sugars
Assist with hazardous material situations
Assist in trauma situations
Assist Emergency Room Staff in obtaining medical history from the patient
Assist in Advanced Cardiac Life Support
Assist in surgical procedures in the Emergency Room
Assist with Oxygen Therapy
Emergency Room assessment of Emergency Room patients
Dressing change under supervision of the Physician, Registered Nurse, or ER Charge Nurse
Patient education/ as order by attending physician
Assessing Nursing Home patients
Discharge Instructions as ordered by physician
Witness legal documents
Intra osseous infusion
Initiate Adult Cardiac Life Support protocols
Initiate Pediatric Advanced Life Support protocols
Triage new Emergency Room admissions
External jugular cannulation
Endotracheal Intubation (oral) (nasal)
Abstracting information from patients medical records
- Requisition ID: 2019-R
- Schedule: Part-time
- Market: CHI St. Vincent