Intern Pharmacist - Mercy West Outpatient Pharmacy - PRN (Varied)
Posted on Apr 16, 2019 by Mercy Health
Scheduled Hours per 2 week Pay Period: 0
Primary Location: IA > CLIVE > MERCY WEST
GENERAL SUMMARY :
Providestechnical support in the delivery of pharmaceutical care to clients of MercyMedical Center s Outpatient (retail) Pharmacies, including the preparation anddelivery of medications, review of charts for specific information/audits,stocking and ordering of drugs and other products. Performstechnical work and tasks allowable by Iowa law for a Pharmacy Intern under thesupervision of a licensed pharmacist.
- Preparespatient drug orders as follows (with proper checks performed by apharmacist as required by law): enterspatient prescription orders into the computer; selects correct medication,strength and dosage form; prepares labels; selects and affixes auxiliarylabels to medications as appropriate and legally required; counts, measures,weighs & pours medications; documents doses dispensed; and filesmedication orders.
- Cleanscounters, medication drawers, carts, shelves, and equipment as needed.
- Assiststhe pharmacists with audits (e.g. allergy, weight, etc.).
- Entersand fills stock bags and fills stock requisitions for other departments.
- Accuratelyprocesses and restocks medications for departments utilizing automateddispensing systems, i.e.Pyxis/Acudose
- Performsa variety of medication inventory-related tasks including: communicationof stock utilization and ordering needs; assisting with reordering; checkingof expiration dating with alerts to pharmacists when needed; and rotatingand restocking.
- Compoundsand labels extemporaneous liquid and solid products for patients accordingto procedure.
- Answerstelephone and process requests according to procedures.
- Participatesin the training of new technicians.
- Chargesand credits individual patient accounts.
- Accuratelyand efficiently waits on patients at the POS register and handles saletransactions.
- Enterspatient prescription orders into the computer.
- Preparesprescription product for checking by the pharmacist, including labelingappropriately.
- Performspatient counseling related to medication use including, but not limitedto, discussion of drug names, strengths, doses, and possible side-effects
- Managesthird party billing.
- Assistswith inventory and ordering of pharmaceuticals.
- Assistspharmacists and management team in patient-specific clinical informationgathering & departmental projects.
- High schooldiploma or GED.
- Current enrollmentin a pharmacy school or program.
- Must be registeredas a pharmacy intern with the State of Iowa at the time of hire.
- Requisition ID: 2019-R
- Schedule: Part-time
- Market: Mercy Medical Center