BUILDING MAINTENANCE WORKER (Temporary/Part-Time)
Posted on Apr 12, 2019 by Watsonville,The City Of
JOB TYPE: Temporary/Part-Time
FILING DEADLINE: Thursday, April 11, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
(No postmarks accepted)
This is a Temporary/Part-Time, non-benefited position. Morning shifts only (Mon-Fri)
To perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks and operations in the maintenance, alteration and repair of buildings, facilities and equipment. This job class may be assigned to perform graffiti removal from public and private property throughout the City. This job class requires a high degree of technical knowledge and skill in painting and in one or more of another skilled trade described herein.
This job classification functions at the journey level and is distinguished from Custodian with an increased level of technical skill required in the area of maintenance and repair of buildings, facilities and related equipment. Employees in this classification remove graffiti from walls, buildings, fences and utility poles. Employees in this classification receive limited supervision within a framework of standard policies and procedures.
• Receives direction from the Facilities and Maintenance Supervisor
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Performs skilled trades work in painting, drywall installation and repair and carpentry
• Performs semi-skilled trades work in plumbing and electrical on buildings and equipment
• Determines work procedure; prepares time, cost and material estimates
• Performs scraping, sanding, sealing, caulking and other prep work prior to painting
• Performs taping and texturing of walls and other surfaces
• Applies paint by brush, roller and airless sprayer
• Uses a pressure washer to remove graffiti
• Applies graffiti-preventive coatings
• Uses solvents to remove graffiti
• Mixes paints to achieve high quality color matching
• Communicates with tenants, homeowners and business persons regarding graffiti problems including recommendations for preventative measures
• Maintains written and photographic records using a computer, Polaroid and digital cameras
• Recommends and implements preventative measures relating to graffiti including lighting, landscaping and other measures
• Diagnoses and repairs minor electrical problems
• Performs minor plumbing repairs
• Installs and repairs cabinets and counter tops, doors, windows, roofs, and partitions
• Performs general construction work
• Performs maintenance, repair and construction work in compliance with building codes
• Works safely and abides by established safety rules
• Uses a telephone and communicates via radio
• Climbs ladders; crawls under houses; reaches above and below shoulder level; grasps with right and left hands; walks on uneven surfaces; lifts 50 lbs.
• Drives an automobile
• Maintains accurate records and prepares reports related to assignments
• Performs related duties similar to the above in scope and function as required
• proper usage of equipment used in painting, plumbing, carpentry, drywall construction, carpentry and related maintenance and repair projects
• methods, materials and practices used in painting, plumbing, carpentry, drywall construction and related maintenance and repair activities
• basic operation of a personal computer
• safe work practices
• perform skilled and semi-skilled building and public works maintenance and repair work including painting, plumbing, carpentry and drywall construction
• understand and follow oral and written directions in an independent manner
• meet the physical requirements necessary to safely and effectively perform required duties
• establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties
• distinguish colors of paint with a high degree of accuracy
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of training and experience, which would provide the required knowledge and abilities, is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities is:
• One year of journey level experience in building trades work or four years of increasingly responsible experience in a wide variety of semi-skilled building maintenance and repair work
• Three years of experience painting interior and exteriors of buildings
LICENSE & CERTIFICATION
• a valid California Class C Driver's License and a safe driving record APPLICATION AND TESTING PROCESS
Applications must be submitted to the Human Resources Department located at 275 Main Street, Suite 400, Watsonville, CA 95076, by the filing deadline. No postmarks accepted. An application may be obtained by calling to apply online visit . All candidates will receive written notification after applications have been screened for requirement compliance. Interview dates will be announced at a later time. Names of successful candidates who do not receive a job offer will be placed on an employment list.
Prior to appointment to the position of Building Maintenance Worker, a medical examination andDepartment of Justice LiveScan fingerprinting will be required. The City of Watsonville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages workplace diversity. The City of Watsonville is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act by including people with disabilities in all of its programs and activities.
NOTE: THIS ANNOUNCEMENT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A CONTRACT, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, AND ANY PROVISIONS CONTAINED IN THIS BULLETIN MAY BE MODIFIED OR REVISED WITHOUT NOTICE.
Category: Building Maintenance , Keywords: Building Maintenance Worker