Scientist II, Pharmacology
Posted on Apr 11, 2019 by Pharmacyclics, an Abbvie Company
More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists, clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart cancer.
To learn more about us, please visit us at
The Preclinical Pharmacology Department is searching for a highly motivated Scientist II who will work collaboratively across Pharmacology/DMPK, biology and medicinal chemistry teams and generate efficacy and PD data to support preclinical development of drug candidates and regulatory submissions.
General Position Summary/Purpose:
Provide preclinical Pharmacology support to Pharmacyclics drug discovery and development projects in hematological malignancy and immune-oncology. Conduct efficacy/PK/PD studies. Investigate, develop, validate or optimize existing and new methods/models to solve project related scientific problems. Work closely with scientists in biology, medicinal chemistry, DMPK, and develop productive collaborations and communications with other groups across scientific disciplines.
Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities:
- Design and conduct tumor efficacy and PD studies.
- Understand and adhere to IACUC protocols regarding animal welfare and handling.
- Cell culture and banking to support efficacy studies.
- Conduct and develop ex vivo assays such as MSD, WES, multi-color FACS, and Luminex to understand MOA of in vivo studies
- Commitment to scientific rigor, high data quality and careful documentation.
- Self-motivated, possess strong problem solving and organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities, adapt to changing priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Flexibility and motivation to learn and master new experimental techniques and accomplish goals outside those stated above
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, appropriate handling of materials, controlled drug and radioactive compounds, GxP compliance, and animal care where applicable.
- Routinely read and apply relevant scientific literature. Contribute to writing and conceptual framework of publications, presentations, and patents. Effectively organize and present scientific plans and data.
- BS or equivalent education with typically 7 or more years of experience or MS or equivalent education with typically 5 or more years of experience.
- Hands-on experience in mouse handling/bleeding, surgery, tumor studies, and tissue collection
- Extensive experience in MSD/WES/Luminex/ELISA and other Bioassays is required
- Technical experience in immunology, cell biology or molecular biology is a plus
- Competency with software programs, including MS Excel, Powerpoint, GraphPad Prism, FlowJo etc.