Charge RN, Surgical/Pediatrics - FT, 6:45am - 7:15pm
Posted on Apr 11, 2019 by Catholic Health Initiatives
The Charge Nurse reports to the Department Director and works collaboratively with the leadership team, the department staff, physicians and interdisciplinary and ancillary staff to support day-to-day operations and patient care. The Charge Nurse is the front line leader responsible for role modeling the vision, core values and behavioral standards of Mercy Medical Center. The Charge Nurse is expected to demonstrate clinical excellence, skilled communication, true collaboration, effective decision-making, appropriate staffing decisions, authentic leadership, and performs operational responsibilities of the role.
- Communicates with oncoming Charge RN regarding unit activity, acuity, staffing, risk management, and satisfaction concerns.
- Assess unit acuity and intensity and matches right nurse with right patient. Balances workload. Demonstrates flexibility when acuity and intensity changes as needed.
- Assesses productivity throughout shift, anticipates changes and manages staff appropriately to maintain productivity and safety. Justifies variance when safety outweighs productivity.
- Facilitates staff breaks and lunches.
- Collaborates with other Charge Nurses and Coordinators to facilitate patient flow within the facility.
- Delegate unit activities and assignments within scope of practice of job role. Completes follow-up to ensure activity and assignments are complete, i.e.
- Performs weekly narcotic inventory and daily crash cart checks.
- Acts as a Clinical Resource to staff in the management of complex patients, procedures and situations.
- Follows Chain of Command when problems require higher level resolution to ensure safety and maintain operations.
- Assists in performing concurrent quality checks, i.e. fall precautions are implemented; pressure ulcer prevention program is followed, etc.
- Makes rounds to ensure staff compliance with patient satisfaction and service excellence initiatives.
- Participates in staff education, competency assessment, and identification of staff performance issues.
- Current RN license issued by the State of Oregon.
- Must have current BLS for Healthcare Providers (HCP) within 30 days, ACLS within 6 months of hire, and have PALS certification within 12 months of hire.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in past surgical care.
- Pediatric experience preferred.
- Charge RN experience in the area of specialty is preferred.
- Promotes a positive work environment.
- Demonstrates work standards and ethics that are congruent with the mission, core values, and behavioral standards of Mercy Medical Center.
- Demonstrates the ability to positively manage ambiguity and change within the organization and department.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- Requisition ID: 2019-R
- Schedule: Full-time
- Shift: Day Job
- Market: CHI Mercy Health