SERVICE CENTER MECHANIC B TRAINEE Competitive Hourly Rate and Benefits
Posted on Apr 10, 2019 by Ward Trucking
REPORTS TO: Director of Fleet Management / Field Maintenance Supervisor /
Service Center Manager / Senior Lead Mechanic
OVERVIEW OF ROLE: To perform Inspections, service and complete repairs of all company equipment in a safe, timely and cost efficient manner. Develop the necessary experience and ability to become proficient in all maintenance processes while assisting senior mechanics
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ability to drive a tractor & trailer in Ward yard -- on premises.
- Lubrication of any type of power equipment, trailers & dolly's and proper inspection (as instructed).
- Qualified to perform all types of Preventative Maintenance procedures on all equipment
- Knowledge and capability to complete minor Power Equipment, Trailer and Forklift repairs.
- Develop the knowledge and experience to replace component parts: water pumps, turbo, 5th wheels, clutches, transmissions, etc.
- Develop the knowledge and understanding of troubleshooting procedures and failure analysis of component parts.
- Diagnosis of mechanical, electrical and other manufactured systems to properly identify related problems, breakdown or failure related to Equipment, including but not limited to:
- Engine Systems
- Clutch and Drive train Systems
- Heat / Air conditioning Systems
- Brake System - check operation of air valves, cams, brake shoes and condition of air
- Chassis / Body Power Equipment and Trailers
- Overhead Door Systems repairs
- Basic Tire Knowledge to include review and understanding of Ward Tire manual and the procedures therein.
- Ability to Change Tires
- Ability to operate laptop computer for diagnostics purposes
- Proper reporting of accidents: (photos - decals - unit # - date).
- Capable of welding and cutting as necessary (Oxy/Act, Stick, Tig and Mig)
- Capable of repairing all types of liftgates.
- Maintain clean work area.
- Complete all paper work and records in an accurate and timely manner:
- Become proficient in the use of Maintenance software system (TMT)
- Repair orders - complete repair order and note all comments.
- Shop cards - properly complete shop cards daily.
- Parts - identify parts being used so they are properly charged out.
- Assist with Parts Inventory and control
All employees are expected to maintain superior customer relations, be involved and committed to continuous improvement, be willing to train and give aid to fellow employees. Work in an efficient manner, receive constructive criticism and praise in a business-like fashion, and maintain a positive attitude.
- Must meet the Company s minimum qualified drivers requirements, as defined by the Safety Department, to be Non-CDL Driver qualified.
- Must pass a company road test.
- Must wear steel-toed shoes/boots.
- Must participate in random drug testing of all non-DOT employees.
- Understanding and application of the safety practices related to this position.
- Understanding of the proper handling of hazardous material.
- Understanding and application of DOT, EPA, ICC, and OSHA rules & regulations.
- Ability to accurately read gauges and dials and accomplish specialized detail work required.
LICENSE: Must posses a valid Drivers License with no pattern of moving violations/accidents in either a personal or commercial vehicle. Must obtain a commercial driver s license, Class A, within one year of accepting the position. Applicants with an E restriction (automatic transmission only), or K restriction (intrastate only) on their CDL will not be considered for hire until those restrictions have been removed from their license. A Pennsylvania State Inspection License Class 7 is also required.
TRAINING: Must be willing to participate in training classes given by or requested by the company. Must be willing to assist and train other Ward employees in areas of job classification as needed, which may involve travel to outside shop locations if necessary.
TRAVEL: Travel as required for maintenance reasons, including to outside service center locations. Period of stay will be determined on required need.
SCHEDULE: Must be willing to work in different departments, including shift changes and days of the week to keep the company operating in an efficient manner.
ENVIRONMENT: May be subject to climate fluctuations of a normal shop environment. May spend 50% of time exposed to heat, cold, dust, etc. May work with and be exposed to hazardous materials.
- After job offer, must meet or exceed medical standards of the US Dept. of Transportation and successfully pass company requirements.
- Must be able to pass all medical qualifications for a D.O.T. physical (even those applicants who do not have a CDL) as stated in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
- Must be able to move, operate, lift, and store specialized equipment that includes, but not limited to welding equipment, hand tools, shop machines, and power.
- May require working underneath the trailer, tractor or truck.
- Must be able to enter / exit cab using footholds, ladders and handholds where available.
- Must be able to spend 80% of the day standing and 20% of the day walking on surfaces such as concrete, wood, and metal.
- Must be able to successfully pass a post offer physical agility test, specifically designed for the tasks associated with the position. The physical demands for this position are \"Heavy\", as defined by the Dictionary of Occupational Titles: Exerting 50 to 100 lb of force occasionally, and/or 25 to 50 lb of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 lb of force constantly to move objects, physical demand requirements are in excess of those for medium work.
- Specific physical demands include, but are not limited to:
- Pushing: Occasional, up to 100 lbs., up to 150 feet
- Pulling: Occasional, up to 100 lbs., up to 150 feet
- Lifting - Floor to Knee, Knee to Waist, Waist to Shoulder: Occasional, up to 100 lbs.
- Lifting Shoulder and Above: Occasional, up to 56 lbs.
- Balancing, Climbing, Crouching, Kneeling, Lying down, Reaching (below shoulder), Sitting: Occasional
- Stooping, Twisting, Bending, Reaching (shoulder or above), Standing: Frequent
This job description does not necessarily represent an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other different tasks be performed as circumstances change.
Associated topics: business, commercial, community, corporate, facilities, general manager, housing property, manager ii, representative, supervise