Director of Perioperative Services
Posted on Apr 10, 2019 by Boca Raton Regional Hospital
The Director of Perioperative Services reports to the Chief Medical Officer and is responsible for planning, organizing and directing all functions of the Perioperative Services departments (Operating Room, Pre-Admission, Pre-op units, PACU, Sterile Processing and Anesthesia) in order to support the mission and values of Boca Raton Regional Hospital and promote, advocate and support nursing staff's primary commitment to protect the health, safety and rights of the patients we serve.
Responsible for supporting organizational performance improvement initiatives and collection of analytics, including adherence with CMS Clinical Process of Care, AAMI, AORN, TJC, AHCA and departmental recommended standards of practice. Responsible for planning, organizing, and controlling all Perioperative Services related cost center budgets, materials/supply coordination, capital requests and allocation, and business activities in order to support efficient, cost effective services, while enhancing customer experience.
- Master's degree (MSN, MHC or MBA) preferred or BSN enrolled in Master's program to be completed within two years.
- Current Florida Registered Nurse License in good standing or ability to obtain prior to hire.
- CNOR certification.
- BLS and ACLS certification from the American Heart Association.
- Minimum of two years varied and progressive perioperative services experience.
- Minimum five years of previous management experience in acute care perioperative services with increasing levels of administrative responsibility and authority.
- Strong knowledge of finances, budget preparation and reporting.
- Computer literate, ability to deal effectively with people, and negotiating skills.
- Support department and hospital leaders, physicians and staff to assure the appropriate and timely provision of evidence-based standards of care.
- Comply with and support all department policies, procedures, projects and activities to ensure the effective utilization of department resources and the ongoing success of department operations.
- Provide overall planning, control, organization, and monitoring of services and the employees within designated areas.
- Plan, organize and direct the provision of services within the assigned departments to assure compliance with the organization's policies and procedures, regulatory and professional standards.
- Monitor quality and performance improvement initiatives; collect and analyze data to quantify performance of department processes and outcomes.
- Collect information from active/open medical records to facilitate ongoing improvement efforts.
- Perform closed medical record review and data abstraction for national quality initiatives.
- Assist in the acquisition, analysis, display and reporting of data used to support key performance activities.
- Conduct research for prioritized key performance indicator initiatives/clinical outcome studies including literature reviews, best-practice strategies and comparative benchmarks.
- Coordinate on-going preparation for all accrediting/regulatory surveys and licensing requirements as it pertains to departmental recommended standards of practice, ensuring survey readiness.
- Manage team members in the development and accomplishment of short-term and long-term goals, objectives, provision of care and services; promote teamwork and patient satisfaction.
- Provide feedback to staff regarding quality and regulatory compliance issues, with recommendations for improvement.
- Direct process of interviewing, hiring and assuring evaluation and competency of all personnel for areas of responsibility.
- Develop leaders, staff and the overall business unit; provide for ongoing leadership growth and development for those within Perioperative Services.
- Maintain collegial relations and collaborate with other executive and clinical/support service managers in cross-functional process improvement; collaborate in development of action plans to address areas of concerns.
- Maintain a professional image and exhibit excellent customer relations to patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers in accordance with BRRH A+ Standards of Excellence.
- Demonstrate efficient organizational and time management skills through consistent patterns of work behavior and positive representation.
- Effective management of finances and resources; prepares and administers Capital and Operational budgets, as well as identified contract management.
- Routinely monitor the work environment for safety, environmental, service and improvement needs.
- Coordinate efforts in the identification of critical instrumentation/equipment procurement to support service line growth.
- Conduct daily reconciliation of charges, assist with any charge audits (internal and external) and identify any variances to CDM.
- Collaborate with departmental charge specialist and revenue integrity to maintain accuracy of CDM ensuring correct pricing, and revenue coding, for accurate cost accounting.
- Coordinate with Pre-Authorization Specialists and Decision Support to validate reimbursement on requests for high dollar implants.
- Communicate with Administration in a timely and routine manner on issues, potential problems, activities, and projects.
- Participate in the development of hospital-wide programs, policies, and procedures.
- Attend assigned and required hospital and organizational supported meetings.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Work independently; complete work assignments accurately and in a timely manner
- Delegation skills; Demonstrated ability to effectively work with teams and through people
- Clinical skills appropriate to position
- Knowledge of regulatory standards appropriate to position
- Knowledge of AORN, ASPAN, AAMI and IAHCMM Recommended Practices
- Computer skills and application appropriate to position (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Critical thinking skills
- Ability to handle multiple and simultaneous responsibilities and to prioritize scheduling of work
- Ability to handle difficult situations involving patients, physicians, or others in a professional manner
- Exceptional customer service skills
*The person in this position will work in a smoke-free location, and is expected to adhere to all smoking restrictions.
*In the spirit of wellness for both our employees and patients, Boca Raton Regional Hospital has instituted a mandatory influenza prevention vaccination program. Current employees must receive the influenza prevention vaccination free of charge during the recognized flu season. As a condition of employment, new hires will be required to comply with all program rules. This is a mandatory program with the exception of documented medical or religious reasons for not receiving the vaccine. For further information on this progressive program, please contact Boca Raton Regional Hospital's Human Resources Department at 561-###-####.
Associated topics: asn, domiciliary, intensive, intensive care, intensive care unit, psychiatric, registed, registered nurse, staff nurse, surgery