Sr Specialist, Mechanical Engineer - Thermal Systems
Posted on Apr 9, 2019 by Harris Corporation
Job Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Job Code: SIS20192###-####8
Harris Corporation is looking to hire an experienced Mechanical Engineer into the Space and Intelligence Environmental Solutions Environmental Sensors segment in Fort Wayne, IN. This engineer must have experience with thermal control design for the GEO orbit. The candidate must have experience with managing heat from optical and IR payloads on a spacecraft. The candidate must also have experience with developing allocations, creating architectures and writing requirements for space borne thermal control systems. The candidate should have experience with managing cryogenic heat loads, sizing radiators, using heat pipes and providing thermal stability for optics.
The selected candidate will perform the following duties:
- Perform, design and analysis tasks to manage heat loads on complex mechanical hardware including precision mechanisms, electro-mechanical devices, aerospace mechanism design, complex electronics packaging, supporting space-based deployable mechanisms, avionics, innovative thermal and ground based systems.
- Program support includes mission/requirements definition, concept generation, trade studies, design sensitivity/optimization studies, preliminary and final design, component selection, integration and test support, materials selection, CAD 3D solid modeling, design documentation and collaboration with manufacturing operations for fabrication in a program team environment.
- In charge of various environmental testing activities ranging from development to final product qualification testing. Responsible for understanding customer needs, generating test procedures and finally executing the test.
- Establish key performance requirements and define requirements for support equipment
- Create and release component and assembly drawings
- Conduct design reviews
- Responsible for cost and schedule of assigned hardware.
- Understanding of the different materials used in the design of optical/electrical assemblies and how to trade material choices
- Bachelor s Degree and 6+ years relevant experience, or equivalent
- Ability to support design decisions with well documented engineering analyses and calculations required
- Strong experience and knowledge of mechanical test approaches to recommend appropriate testing of hardware in a complex integration environment.
- Excellent ability to analyze problems and to focus and drive down to the root cause of problems quickly.
- Experience with Microsoft office tools, Word, Excel, PowerPoint required
- Master s Degree or PhD in Mechanical Engineering
- Strong analytical skills with emphasis on using and/or directing finite element analysis (FEA) desired
- Has an awareness of EVMS cost and schedule practices.
- Able to work in large program environments and have good communications skills.
- Background in Space-based System Design
Please be aware that many of our positions require a security clearance, or the ability to obtain one. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your r sum for this position, you understand and agree that Harris Corporation may share your r sum , as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
Harris is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local law.
Candidates will support Environment, Health and Safety by fulfilling the Harris EHS Policy, complying with Harris EHS programs and applicable regulations, and striving for continual EHS improvement.
Location: USA - IN - Fort Wayne
Activation Date: Monday, March 25, 2019
Expiration Date: Thursday, August 1, 2019
Associated topics: aerodynamic, automotive, cae, catia, machine, motor, powertrain, proe, propulsion, vehicle