Posted on Apr 9, 2019 by Vanguard
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provides senior level IT technical lead services and direction (which may include) software, middleware, and/or hardware projects (e.g., applications, networks, communications, and client server technologies) on a single platform. Provides technical expertise in systems, technical infrastructure, tools, modeling, external interfaces, and other areas. Completes complex development, design, implementation, architecture design specification, and maintenance activities.
2. Ensures the viability of IT deliverables. Recommends development options, including design, build/buy, and vendor purchase. Conducts testing, including functionality, technical limitations, and security.
3. Identifies potential solutions, including the cost/benefit of each option. May approve solutions proposed by team members. Resolves complex issues uncovered by testers and internal clients.
4. Communicates with project manager on a frequent basis. Identifies tasks and issues that may have an impact on service levels or schedules. Provides realistic task and cost estimates. May screen resumes, interviews, make hiring and assignment recommendations, and write reviews.
5. Maintains current knowledge of IT development methodology, architecture design, and technical standards. Mentors IT staff with less experience and identifies training needs.
6. Communicates with technical leads, IT groups, and clients so they understand the project's technical implications, dependencies, and potential conflicts. Evaluates the impacts of change requests on own/shared technologies.
7. Reviews and approves documentation and diagrams created by IT team members, (e.g., system specifications). Writes documentation, including technical standards and processes.
8. Identifies opportunities for continuous quality improvement of technical standards, methodologies, and technologies.
9. May participate in design, code, and test Inspections throughout product life cycle to contribute technical expertise and to identify issues. Presents technical status and issues at milestone reviews.
10. For teams without a BSA, performs this staff member's duties, including interviewing business liaisons to write the functional requirements. In the absence of the project manager, performs this staff member's duties, including coordinating daily systems analysis and development activities.
11. Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures. Verifies team's deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
12. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- Five years experience in technical specialty. For development technical leads, includes two years' developer experience.
- Strong analysis and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of the financial services industry
- Advanced knowledge of the following technical lead practices and concepts:
Performance and stress testing
Quality assurance methodology and Inspections
Technical standards and deliverables
Migration and integration
Estimating, including design, development/purchase, and installation
Production acceptance (including elevations), data modeling, data sharing, reusable components, and related advanced development standards
- Advanced knowledge of one or more IT platforms:
Microsoft Windows NT
Advanced knowledge of current versions of the following products:
Microsoft Office Suite
For development only: Advanced knowledge of one or more development tools and programming languages:
UNIX Shell Scripting (KSH, BASH, etc)
- Strong written and oral communication skills, preferred
- Advanced knowledge of a wide range of technologies within technical specialty - from state of the art to legacy systems, preferred
- Advanced knowledge of one or more testing tools, performance tools, and scripting languages, preferred
1. Weekday coverage: Regularly scheduled 5-day week, Mon. - Fri., normal business hours
2. Remote and off hours support: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
3. On call: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
4. Travel: For Charlotte, NC-based staff, limited travel to Valley Forge, PA is required, including new employee orientation, project kickoff meetings, and training
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
1. Works on one medium size project or multiple small projects with timelines of 3 - 12 months
2. Works on similar technologies (e.g., applications), for a single platform and business area, for systems with large numbers of interfaces and users