Project Manager, ITS
Posted on Mar 20, 2019 by Thompson Rivers University
Open to both Internal and external
Support Staff (CUPE)
Posting In effect from
Closing Application Date
Closing date for internal CUPE applicants
Internal CUPE applicants must submit their application by 4pm on the "closing date for internal CUPE applicants" for their Seniority to be recognized. If the position is still open after that date they will be considered alongside external applicants.
Applications will be reviewed commencing the "closing date for internal CUPE applicants" and may continue until the position is filled
Auxiliary (Over 4 Months)
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (If Applicable)
The Hours of work are subject to change depending upon departmental requirements
The hours of work will be Monday to Friday, 7 hours a day, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Reporting to the Manager of the TRU Project Management Officer, the Project Manager is accountable for planning, executing, and finalizing projects according to strict deadlines and within budget. The Project Manager will define the project's objectives and oversee quality control throughout its life cycle. This role also leads cross-functional activities and engages multiple stakeholders while mitigating risk, resulting in the achievement of project deliverables and milestones.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works with key stakeholders and subject matter experts to create and manage the project plan including clearly defining and communicating project scope, deliverables, schedule and timelines and liaise with key stakeholders on an ongoing basis.
- Conducts risk assessment of factors facing the project and creates contingency plans and positioning.
- Implements project operating procedures including communication, documentation, quality and change control processes while monitoring and analyzing planned versus actual project information for scope, schedule, budgets and resources.
- Provides an analysis of project statuses and their issues, including a centralized view of departmental projects to Steering Committee and/or Executive for issue resolution.
- Effectively communicate and manage project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion.
- Delegate tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel.
- Define project success criteria and disseminate them to involved parties throughout project life cycle.
- Conduct project post mortems and create a recommendations report in order to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements.
- Develop best practices and tools for project execution and management.
- Estimate the resources and participants needed to achieve project goals.
- Draft and submit budget proposals, and recommend subsequent budget changes where necessary.
- Negotiate with other department managers for the acquisition of required personnel from within the company and determine and assess need for additional staff and/or consultants and make the appropriate recruitments if necessary during project cycle.
- Identify and manage project dependencies and critical path.
- Develop and deliver progress reports, proposals, requirements documentation, and presentations.
- Coach, mentor, motivate and supervise project team members and contractors, and influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work.
- Build, develop, and grow any business relationships vital to the success of the project.
Manager, Project Management Office
- Undergraduate degree in a discipline related to project management (e.g. computing science, social science, business)
- Formal Project Management Certification (e.g. PMP, PRINCE2, etc.)
- Seven years of experience in a project management environment
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE OR ABILITIES RELATED TO THE JOB
- Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential
- Ability to adapt to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities and to execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to quickly identify potential issues and risk and craft innovative solutions
- Reacts to project adjustments and alterations promptly and efficiently
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to translate business requirements into functional scope and specifications and the ability to communicate complicated technical issues to technical, non-technical audiences
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, clients, and other departments
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and project management software
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Customer service skills an asset
- Sitting at desk and computer for long periods of time
- General office conditions
- Travel may be required for the purpose of meeting with clients, stakeholders, or off-site personnel/management
Please Note: If you are selected for interview, External Candidates will be required to bring a copy of their transcripts to the interview
The salary for the above position is determined by the Collective Agreement with the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 4879, as it presently exists.
CUPE Grade 11 $33.69
Please Note: This position may be subject to a 90% salary for the first 560 hours of employment.
Kamloops, BC CA (Primary)
# of Hires Needed
Thompson Rivers University -> Information Technology Services -> Project Management Office
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment:
Thompson Rivers University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
NOTE: To learn more about living in Kamloops and Thompson Rivers University please visit our Web Site. Living in Kamloops and working at the TRU