Facility: CHI Health Mercy Corning
Location: Corning, IA
Department: Surgery (Surgical Technician)
Job Type: PRN
Shift: As needed primarily scheduled day shift hours
Job Summary/Essential Duties:
1. Performs surgical technology tasks and functions that are performed with other members of the surgical team that includes:
a. Prepares the operating room for surgical procedures by ensuring the equipment is functioning properly and safely.
b. Prepares the operating room and the sterile field for surgical procedures by preparing sterile supplies, instruments, and equipment using sterile technique.
c. Demonstrates knowledge of human anatomy and pathophysiology and how it relates to the patient and surgical procedure.
d. Performs tasks in the sterile field.
2. Performs in the role of scrub nurse according to the plan of patient care and departmental staffing needs.
3. Performs duties according to department specific expectations as identified and assigned.
4. Assists with patient care activities under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse.
5. Anticipates usual and unexpected events during the surgical procedure and responds in an efficient manner.
6. Adheres to aseptic practices providing and maintaining a safe environment.
7. Handles and processes surgical specimens according to established policy/procedure.
8. Functions in the role of assistant as necessary under the direct supervision of the surgeon.
9. Demonstrates an appropriate level of understanding, awareness, and compliance with applicable Joint Commission, Federal, State and agency laws, regulations, guidelines and professional standards.
Required Education for Staff Job Levels
* Completion of an accredited Surgical Technology program
Required Licensure and Certifications
* BLS is required upon hire. (Acceptable credentialing bodies and certifications include the following: American Heart Association: Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers.)
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Knowledge of surgical instrumentation and associated care * Knowledge of surgical supplies and equipment
* Knowledge of medical and surgical asepsis and infection control principles * Knowledge of medical terminology * Verbal and non-verbal communication skills * Manual dexterity skills. * Good interpersonal relationship skills * Computer skills * Ability to work under stressful and changing conditions in a calm, productive and flexible manner * Ability to stand for long periods of time
PREFERRED Qualifications Preferred 1 year experience