Surgical Boarding Clerk - Operating Room
Posted on Mar 12, 2019 by Ascension
We Are Hiring
Surgical Boarding Clerk - Operating Room - FT Days - Ascension Providence Rochester Hospital - Rochester, MI
Shift/Schedule: 40 hours, Monday - Friday, 6:30 AM - 3:00 PM
Why Join Ascension?
Ascension Providence Rochester Hospital is a member of Ascension Health, the largest not-for-profit Catholic Health system in the United States.
Our Mission: Ascension Providence Rochester Hospital is dedicated to enhancing the health status of the individuals and communities we serve in partnership with our physicians, employees and community members.
We are called to:
- Service of the Poor - Generosity of spirit, especially for persons most in need
- Reverence - Respect and compassion for the dignity and diversity of life
- Integrity - Inspiring trust through personal leadership
- Wisdom - Integrating excellence and stewardship
- Creativity - Courageous innovation
- Dedication - Affirming the hope and joy of our ministry
Our Vision: To be the recognized healthcare Employer of choice.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with Ascension Providence Rochester Hospital, you will have the opportunity to support the Mission and Vision of Ascension Providence Rochester Hospital by scheduling surgical procedures, per policy and guidelines, for all areas of Surgical Services. Works closely with Surgical Services Management for the efficient use of all surgical areas.As the chosen care delivery model, Relationship Based Care (RBC) is the foundation of compassionate patient care at Ascension Providence Rochester Hospital, supported by all team members. The 6 elements of RBC, Element 1: Caring and Healing Practice Environment; Element 2: Responsibility for Relationship and Decision Making; Element 3: Work Allocation and Patient Assignments; Element 4: Communication with the Health Care Team; Element 5: Leadership/Management; Element 6: Process Improvement, provides the building blocks for patient care and service delivery within the organization and the focus of the three primary relationships: self, colleague, and patient. Supports the caring practice and the commitment to co-workers.
- Schedules surgical, endoscopy, outpatient clinic and special procedures accurately, verifying the amount of time given for each procedure.
- Supports patient safety and quality efforts by ensuring effective, thorough communication, utilizes safety checklists, confirms laterality and procedure for every case.
- Verifies and appropriately enters additional items required for the procedure.
- Maintains and facilitates communication with all surgical areas to efficiently plan and organize the OR schedule.
- Maintains rapport with physician office staff, acting as a liaison between Ascension Providence Rochester Hospital and the physician offices.
- Coordinates cases with other departments including Radiology, Labor and Delivery and Endoscopy.
- Schedules procedures into the correct rooms, depending on resources required for the procedure and available blocked and non-blocked time.
- Coordinates procedures with anesthesia availability.
- Generates reports as requested.Assists the surgical departments with unit clerk duties as needed.
- Uses professional telephone communication skills when interacting with patients, visitors, physicians, and employees; must be able to verbally communicate with internal and external hospital customers in a polite, courteous and efficient manner.
- Attends educational programs and completes mandatory education requirements.
- Assists in maintaining all Joint Commission and other regulatory compliance standards.
- Promotes a positive work environment as evidenced by quality service and positive staff attitudes.
- Demonstrates and actively promotes an understanding and commitment to the mission of Ascension Providence Rochester Hospital through performing behaviors consistent with the Standards of Performance and Code of Ethics.
- Supports and conducts oneself in a manner consistent with service expectations.
- This position shall have access to and disclose personal health information only when reasonably necessary to perform the designated job related responsibilities. Disclosure and/or use of personal health information for any purpose other than as reasonably necessary for designated job responsibilities is prohibited.
- Perform all other duties and assignments as requested. These may include but are not limited to, computer and/or office equipment, special projects and committee assignments.
- This position requires the ability to identify age related differences within the persons served and the adjustment of treatment style and expectations as appropriate, including adjustments based on the persons served cognitive function and learning ability. This will include taking into account their religious and cultural needs and preferences.
What You Will Need
- HS or Equivalent
- High School diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Two (2) years or more working experience in surgery within the last three (3) years is required.
- Previous Surgical Boarding experience preferred.
- Six (6) months' experience with computer system-based scheduling software applications required.
- Six (6) months surgery terminology experience required within the past 18 months.
- All Boarding Clerks are required to demonstrate a minimum of 40 wpm typing speed for the position.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension Rochester Providence Hospital is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all associates and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The information requested on this application will not be used for any purpose prohibited by law. If you require assistance or an accommodation to complete this application, please let us know.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the "EEO is the Law" poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Thank you for considering a career with Crittenton Hospital Medical Center.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.