Front End Software Engineer - Lead
Posted on Mar 12, 2019 by USAA
USAA Front End Engineers create and maintain the front-end portion of our business software applications. Done well, many may never realize or appreciate how critical these systems are or how we've made them simpler, faster, and safer. Yet, they help make our members' lives better. It's a great challenge and responsibility.
Here, you will invent. You'll design and test. You'll take risks. You'll create new technology, but the impact you'll make on our members will be far more significant.
As a Front-end Engineer, you are expected to be able to function in a fast-paced environment driving innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development ensuring quality is built into all solutions. Your responsibilities will require you to be an expert in front development best practices and frameworks creating beautiful experiences for our internal and member facing systems. You will be required to be an expert in understanding user requirements and tailoring user experiences accordingly. You will engage with business clients, UI designers, developers and architects to create high performing and easy to use systems via the web as well as mobile-based applications. You will create and implement design principles that ensures that our content renders well across multiple devices. You will use and promote the use of front-end and mobile testing tools to ensure quality.
As a Front-end Engineer, it will be your responsibility to maintain code integrity and quality as well as ensure application architecture is designed for performance and resiliency.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
ABOUT USAA IT
Our most important qualification isn't technical, it's human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 11 million members who rely on us every day.
We are over 3,400 employees strong, a passionately supportive and collaborative team built on Agile principles. We've been a top-two Computerworld 100 Best Places to Work in IT five years in a row and were recently named a Top 50 Employer for Minority Engineers & IT by Workforce Diversity Magazine.
This Job Posting is for multiple openings available in 2019.
USAA Information Technology: We're Hiring Phoenix
- Leads and influences technical direction for large scale, highly complex technical initiatives and/or projects requiring integration of cross-functional systems.
- Provides technical guidance in evaluating applications systems or evaluating requests for proposals.
- Collaborates with the business to prioritize key business/technical initiatives.
- Utilizes expert knowledge of the customers business to recommend solutions, and ensures business and technology objectives are met and maintained.
- Understands user and process requirements and ensures those requirements can be achieved through high quality deliverables.
- Creates system documentation/play book(s) and serves as a lead technical reviewer and contributor in requirements, design and code reviews.
- Typically serves as a resource to the business and/or as a technical resource to cross functional third party and internal team members on highly complex design/code reviews.
- May troubleshoot complex problems and recommend solutions or practices relative to root cause analyses and identification of solutions for improving system performance and availability.
- On behalf of the manager; manages the consistent delegation of work packages to cross functional and third-party team members for execution through the full development life cycle.
- Appropriately advises management of issues.
- Assists team leads and management with delegation of technical work packages to cross functional and third-party team members for execution through the full development life cycle.
- Keeps management appropriately informed of progress and issues.
Performs design and analysis, coding and unit/integration testing of highly complex system functionality and/or defect correction across multiple platforms.
- Displays advanced knowledge and understanding of functional and technical domains of specific products and appropriately evaluates the impact of changes or additions.
- Develops accurate estimates on work packages.
- Analyzes and designs specifications for less experienced internal and third-party team members to execute.
- Actively mentors and contributes to the technical and soft skills development of internal and third-party teams.
- Actively participates in cross departmental staffing and/or technical decisions.
- Typically anticipates opportunities and proactively and consistently champions innovative solutions cross functionally and across the Enterprise.
- Bachelor's degree or 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- Experience leading software development teams (internal and/or third party)
- 4+ years of experience working with Agile methodology
- Proficiency in translating front-end mockups and wireframes into functioning applications
- 4+ years of experience in designing/coding for high availability and performance.
- 4+ years of experience with rapid prototyping / simulations / iterative design
- Demonstrated experience supporting accessibility requirements from ADA (Section 508 subset of a11y).
- 6+ years of experience on closures/Prototypes/JS.this and variable scope
- Understanding of HTTP interaction with browsers (request types, request headers, synchronous/asynchronous requests).
- Understanding of page rendering orchestration within a browser
- Proficiency at using browser development tools within each major browser
- Delivering software using a container based infrastructure
- 4+ years of experience with Gradle, GIT, GitHUB, GITLab, etc. around continuous integration and continuous delivery infrastructure
- Experience testing in Selenium frameworks
USAA Front End Engineers create innovative solutions that impact our members. Collectively, we are:
- Curious and excited by new ideas
- Energized by a fast-paced environment
- Able to understand and translate business needs into leading-edge technology
- Comfortable working as part of a connected team, but self-motivated
- Community-focused, dependable and committed
- Exceptionally detail-oriented
USAA's most valuable resource is our 30,000 employees. We promote a culture of diversity and inclusion, encouraging varied perspectives and ideas.
Our team enjoys world-class benefits, pay and highly competitive reward opportunities, including comprehensive healthcare, wellness and wealth building programs, employee resource groups, 401K matching dollar-for-dollar up to 8% of pay, career planning and continuing education.
We promote a strong work-life balance with a variety of on-site services and conveniences depending on location, including a daycare, health center and pharmacy, multiple dining options, company stores, covered parking and free fitness centers. USAA is a casual dress environment.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.