Help Desk Analyst
Posted on Mar 12, 2019 by RTA
The Regional Transportation Authority (RTA), located in downtown Chicago, is currently accepting applications to fill the Help Desk Analyst position.
Under the direction of the Director of IT, the incumbent is primarily responsible for providing first-level support for the RTA computer systems and end-user community; ensuring and maintaining the functionality of all components and applications. The incumbent is also responsible for assisting the network and systems administrator with maintenance of RTA's infrastructure, including its data center. The Help Desk Analyst will be the go-to' person, resolving a variety of technical issues including laptop, desktop, mobile device, iPads and other computing accessories.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provides end-user support for hardware, software and telecommunication issues. Installs, troubleshoots, configures and tests software and hardware. Provides training to end-users in the use of, and protection of, information technology resources.
- Resolves hardware problems and maintains contracts for the repair and support of all hardware. Directs and coordinates the services of contractors for problems that cannot be resolved in-house.
- Installs, deploys, assembles and configures computers, laptops, monitors, network infrastructure and peripherals, such as printers, scanners and related hardware. Pulls cables and rewires or directs the rewiring of cables, as needed, for new installations and office reconfiguration.
- Assists in instructing RTA staff in the use of standard business and administrative software (ERP & Office365). Provides written documentation, as needed.
- Assists with the planning, design, research and acquisition of new or upgraded hardware and software systems; maintains current knowledge of hardware, software and network technology; and recommends modifications, as needed.
- Maintains departmental purchasing documents/files for computer hardware and software; tracks purchases to ensure receipt of product; and processes paperwork for payment. Maintains and tracks Information Technology Department inventory.
- Updates critical software for workstations, printers, and scanners as directed by the Director of IT. Updates the record of all installed software.
- Serves as backup to the Information Technology Staff when needed. Also supports RTA end-users at the Service Boards. Participates as a member/liaison of a project, strategy, or special event.
- Creates/revises IT HelpDesk and end user processes, procedures and task oriented documentation; and contributes as a co-author to ITS Knowledge Base articles.
- Creates/updates simple OS updates and applications for deployment via electronic software distribution solution(s) and master system deployment images.
- Provides support to the network administrator, helps systems administrators in the installation/removal of Servers and network equipment, and coordinates with the contractors for the HVAC equipment maintenance. No special technical knowledge required for this task but good organizational and team work skills needed.
- Provides tape backup administration for the Symantec Backup Exec 2012 in terms of running the backups according to the schedule and tape rotations. Work with the third party vendor to maintain a consistent rotation of backup tapes at their off-site location.
Experience with Microsoft Windows operating systems, Apple Macintosh operating systems, and software applications.
Demonstrated proficiency in the following:
- Experience supporting environments with: Microsoft Windows 7 and 10, Microsoft Office 2010, 2016, and Office365, Microsoft Exchange Server, Active Directory, Office Hardware, and Security architecture.
- Must have experience in imaging and deploying new workstations to the end users.
- Must have excellent troubleshooting skills in Windows 7 and 10 OS.
- Must have experience and troubleshooting skills in MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Adobe products.
- Must be experienced in Active Directory and be able to create, modify accounts.
- Must have used Microsoft Exchange and be able to install, troubleshoot Outlook.
- Must be able to maintain helpdesk ticketing software.
- Knowledge and good understanding of patching the end user workstations and troubleshooting issues caused by patches.
- Understanding of tape backups using Symantec backup exec and be able to run the backups and do the tape rotation according to the set schedule.
- Strong written/verbal skills are essential.
- Knowledge and experience with peripheral equipment to support desktop printers, scanners, projectors, and other equipment.
- Intermediate customer support background and experience
Abilities: Demonstrated ability to work well with a variety of individuals and diverse populations with minimum supervision. Excellent communication skills with the ability to explain problems and solutions clearly to end-users in non-technical terms and have the ability to work calmly and professionally under pressure. Must be highly organized, flexible and detail orientated and have the ability to work both independently and in teams. Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
Work is performed in a normal office environment except that the server room may be cooler than a normal office. Work involves periodic lifting and moving of computer equipment weighing up to 75 pounds as required to install, remove items for service or inventory equipment. This position requires periodic after hours and weekend duty and the incumbent must be able to work a flexible schedule.
The RTA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. The RTA reimburses for travel at the federal rate for mileage reimbursement. Relocation is not available. For more information about the RTA, visit our website
Minimum Salary: $50,000
Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary history to:
Regional Transportation Authority
Chicago, IL 60604
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer