Environmental Health & Safety Manager
Posted on Mar 11, 2019 by Covance
Get ready to redefine what's possible and discover your extraordinary potential at Covance. Here, you'll have the opportunity to personally advance healthcare and make a difference in peoples' lives with your bold ideas and unique point of view. With the support of exceptional people from across the globe and an energized purpose, you'll be empowered to own your career journey with mentoring, training and personalized development planning.
Covance is hiring a Environmental Health & Safety Manager to join our dynamic team!
We have helped the pharmaceutical industry develop more medicines worldwide than any other company, including the top 50 best-selling drugs on the market today and 100% of all Oncology drugs approved in 2016. Covance has been named among the World's Most Innovative Companies in Forbes' 2017 Ranking, and more than 90% of the top 20 global pharmaceutical companies are repeat customers… we can offer you not only a job, but a stable, long-term career. With the support of exceptional people and an energized purpose, you'll be empowered to own your career journey with dedicated mentoring, training and personalized development planning.
The role of the Environmental Health & Safety Manager is to provide EHS leadership and direction and minimize EHS related risk for up to several sites within a business unit within a given region.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees EHS operations for 1 or more Covance locations within a business unit
- Manages up to (5) direct reports and up to (5) indirect reports
- Manage and administer environmental, health, and safety programs to meet regulatory requirements, corporate initiatives and company objectives.
- Promote a positive safety culture throughout the site organization.
- Partner with site management to ensure applicable EHS related goals (accident rates, training participation, etc.) and regulatory requirements (assessments, plans, training, etc.) are satisfied.
- Administer accident prevention and reduction programs, ensuring that accidents are reported and assessed to in a punctual manner.
- Ensure medical care is provided to work related injuries and illnesses and manage worker's compensation cases, where applicable.
- Manage the EHS department within the site's designated fiscal EHS budget.
- Perform applicable supervisory duties for the EHS Department, including a full range of recruitment and performance evaluation activities, schedules work, prepares training plans, and guide career development.
- Development and implementation of training solutions to ensure that employees and Covance partners are aware of potential risks and understand how to perform their tasks in a safe and environmentally responsible manner,
- Monitor EHS related regulatory developments and determine applicability to the site.
- Acts as or appoint Chemical Hygiene Officers, EHS Program Administrators, Technical Lead, and any other relevant positions as applicable.
- Implement strategies to effectively assess and prevent applicable EHS related risks (waste management, fire protection, infectious disease, etc.).
- Respond to site EHS related emergency situations, including fires, explosions, chemical release, medical, etc.
- Act as the liaison between Covance and regulatory authorities during site inspections
- Partner with Facilities, architects, and other groups to ensure site construction/renovation activities incorporate EHS related considerations.
- Work with contracted insurance agencies (broker, worker's compensation, property loss, etc.) to continually improve EHS programs via hosting inspections and implementing recommendations.
- Assist the corporate EHS leadership team as requested.
- May function as a member or leader of EHS audit team.
- Support Human Resources Programs as requested.
- Assist in Client, and regulatory inspections as requested.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Science or Technical Field, plus 8-10 years related experience, or advanced degree plus 5-7 years related experience, preferably in a laboratory or research and development setting.
- Professional certification in Safety, Industrial Hygiene or Environmental area a plus.
- Strong communication, people and presentation skills.