Direct Care Counselor - Special Needs Services
Posted on Mar 11, 2019 by Ascension
We Are Hiring
Title: Direct Care Counselor
City, State: Trumbull,CT
Location: Red Maple Group Home
Department: Assisted Living 003
Additional Job Details: PRN,Rotating, 0 hours,Weekly
Why Join Ascension?
St. Vincent's Health Services, part of Ascension, operates St. Vincent's Medical Center in Bridgeport and a number of other sites of care. Founded by the Daughters of Charity in 1903, St. Vincent's is a mission-driven organization committed to exceptional healthcare for all with special consideration for the poor and underserved.
What You Will Do
The Direct Care Counselor - Special Needs Services provides informal training and direct care to clients based on person-centered plans, individual needs/requests and daily household operations.
- Supervises, trains, and/or assists client in accordance with the person-centered plan, including personal care, recreation, and reinforcement of individual habilitation objectives.
- Assures client's personal property and adaptive equipment is clean and in good order including wheel chair, clothing and living space. Plans, schedules and transports clients to work, appointments and community activities.
- Documents routine medications and treatments as prescribed by physicians and/or health care professionals.
- Assists individuals with meal preparation and encourages good nutritional habits and adherence to prescribed diets.
- Effective communication, oral, written and electronic skills.
- Assists in all duties essential to the operational needs of the site.
- Assists individuals to meet their physical emotional spiritual developmental health and safety needs.
- Adapts positively to fast paced changing environment.
- Maintain required licenses certifications and trainings.
- Completes all related paperwork for mandatory compliance with DDS and other related agencies.
- Other Duties as assigned
- Required Credential(s):
- Licensed Drivers License credentialed from the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date.
- One or more of the following:
- Certified Heart Saver AED credentialed from the American Heart Association (AHA) obtained within 2 Months (60 days) of hire date or job transfer date.
- Certified Heart Saver AED credentialed from the American Red Cross obtained within 2 Months (60 days) of hire date or job transfer date.
Education and Work Experience:
- HS or Equivalent
- 1 year experience assisting individuals with disabilities or completion of Human Services training program preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the "EEO is the Law" poster:
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
To comply with federal regulations of the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), all employees are required to complete an Employment Eligibility Verification form (I-9). This law applies to individuals hired, including PRN, part-time and temporary employees, volunteers and students.
Additionally, St Vincent's Healthcare is an E-Verify employer. E-Verify is a web based program administered by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, USCIS Verification Division, and the Social Security Administration that supplements the current I-9 eligibility verification process. The program determines whether the information provided by the new hire matches government records and whether the new hire is authorized to work in the United States.