Culinary Intern at Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite
Posted on Mar 11, 2019 by Delaware North
If the smell of evergreen trees and being in the great outdoors appeals to you, then let your adventure begin here! Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite is nestled in the Sierra Mountains just two miles from Yosemite National Park's south entrance, 20 minutes from the charming mountain community of Oakhurst and an hour outside of the large valley community of Fresno, CA.
As a Four Diamond rated, LEED-certified luxurious, all-season resort, we serve a world-wide traveler base. Onsite offerings range from mountain biking and ice skating to spa treatments and fine dining. We offer a "roughing it minus the rough part" stay and focus on delighting guests by creating the world's best experiences! Come explore your opportunities with the Tenaya Lodge team!
As our Culinary Intern, a Kitchen Helper, YOU make the difference! Offering friendly and genuine service, you that perform a variety of food preparation duties other than cooking, such as preparing cold foods, slicing meat, and brewing coffee or tea.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
• Follow all Delaware North Parks and Resorts Environmental GreenPath, GuestPath, OSS, SERV, Code of Conduct, Core Values, Policies and Procedures.
• Clean and sanitize work areas, equipment, utensils, dishes, or silverware.
• Store food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage.
• Prepare a variety of foods, such as meats, vegetables, or desserts, according to customers' orders or supervisors' instructions, following approved procedures.
• Take and record temperature of food and food storage areas, such as refrigerators and freezers.
• Wash, peel, and cut various foods, such as fruits and vegetables, to prepare for cooking or serving.
• Portion and wrap the food, or place it directly on plates for service to patrons.
• Weigh or measure ingredients.
• Mix ingredients for green salads, molded fruit salads, vegetable salads, and pasta salads.
• Receive and store food supplies, equipment, and utensils in refrigerators, cupboards, and other storage areas.
• Remove trash and clean kitchen garbage containers.
• Assist cooks and kitchen staff with various tasks as needed, and provide cooks with needed items.
• Carry food supplies, equipment, and utensils to and from storage and work areas.
• Use manual or electric appliances to clean, peel, slice, and trim foods.
• Inform supervisors when equipment is not working properly and when food and supplies are getting low, and order needed items.
• Make special dressings and sauces as condiments for sandwiches.
• Keep records of the quantities of food used.
• Load dishes, glasses, and tableware into dishwashing machines.
• Distribute food to waiters and waitresses to serve to customers.
• Stock cupboards and refrigerators, and tend salad bars and buffet meals.
• Package take-out foods or serve food to customers.
• Prepare and serve a variety of beverages such as coffee, tea, and soft drinks.
• Vacuum dining area and sweep and mop kitchen floor.
• Scrape leftovers from dishes into garbage containers.
• Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
• Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
• Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
• Customer Oriented - Ability to take care of the customers' needs while following company procedures.
• Responsible - Ability to be held accountable or answerable for one's conduct.
• Ethical - Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
• Safety Awareness - Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety.
• Loyal - The trait of feeling a duty to the employer.
• Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED) plus current enrollment in college or recent graduate (Official College Transcripts and two Letters of Recommendation required)
Experience: 1 plus years of experience in food service
Certifications & Licenses: California Food Handlers Card
N (Not Applicable) Activity is not applicable to this position.
O (Occasionally) Position requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 - 2.5+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently) Position requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5 - 5.5+ hrs/day)
C (Constantly) Position requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Physical Demands Lift/Carry
Manually Manipulate F
Reach Outward F
Reach Above Shoulder F
Squat or Kneel O
10 lbs or less F
11-20 lbs F
21-50 lbs O
51-100 lbs N
Over 100 lbs N
12 lbs or less F
13-25 lbs F
26-40 lbs O
41-100 lbs O
Other Physical Requirements
• Vision (Near, Distance, Color, Peripheral, Depth)
• Sense of Sound - must be able to communicate with all staff members
• Sense of Smell
• Sense of Taste
• Sense of Touch
• Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) - OSHA required items
• Sense of Balance
Due to the location of the property in the mountains, some conditions may include traversing hills and/or slopes, significant heights and outdoor elements. Work environment will also include inside a climate-controlled building. Must be able to withstand hot and cold conditions and work in a fast paced environment. Must be able to work at an elevation of 5,000 plus feet.
If you think this description fits you, and you are available from mid May through mid August, we can't wait to talk to you!
Please submit the following information with your application:
• A cover letter explaining your interest and relevant experience, career goals and reason for wanting to work at Tenaya Lodge
• College/University address and phone number and a copy of official transcript (s)
• Two letter of recommendation from field of study
• Must be 18 yrs or older to apply
• Hourly rate of $14.00 per hour
• Lodging in Fish Camp, CA
Who We Are
Take your career beyond the ordinary-to the extraordinary.
At Delaware North, you'll love where you work, who you work with, and how your day unfolds. Whether it's in sporting venues, casinos, airports, national parks, iconic hotels, or premier restaurants, there's no telling where your career can ultimately take you. We empower you to do great work in a company with 100 years of success, stability and growth. If you have drive and enjoy the thrill of making things happen - share our vision, grow with us.
Delaware North is one of the largest and most admired, privately-held hospitality companies in the world. Founded and owned by the Jacobs family for nearly 100 years, it is a global leader in hospitality and food service with operations in the sports, travel hospitality, restaurants and catering, parks, resorts, gaming and specialty retail industries. Delaware North has annual revenue exceeding $3 billion with 60,000 employee associates. To learn more, visit .
All applicants will be subject to a pre-employment background check and may be subject to a pre-employment drug test depending upon the position and/or client requirements.
Delaware North Companies, Incorporated and its subsidiaries consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. Delaware North is an equal opportunity employer.