Psychiatric Medical Care Consultant
Posted on Mar 10, 2019 by DePaul
Category Residential Care Mental Health
Type Regular Full-Time
FLSA Status Non-Exempt
Corporation Name Living Opportunities of DePaul (LOD)
DePaul is looking for a Registered Nurse to serve as a critical part of our residential team for the purpose of assisting Buffalo Psychiatric Center (BPC) clients with the successful transition from the state hospital campus into DePaul's residential programs in the community.
- Serve as an active member of DePaul's Risk Management Committee.
- Engage in process of doing clinical and medical evaluation to collaborate with residential staff, MH therapists, OT, PT, Home care providers and physicians for each referred and newly admitted resident.
- Performance of first aid as needs arise and assessment of residents' medical concerns.
- Recordkeeping as required by policy and procedures.
- Standard nursing practices as defined by policy and procedure. This may include drawing up and administering insulin, tending to wounds, etc.
- Maintain ongoing coordination and communication with all the residents' primary healthcare providers.
- Facilitate crisis intervention as needed. This includes serving as the main contact with hospital personnel when an individual is sent in for an evaluation.
- Responsible to teach and reinforce good health practices.
- Maintain professional working relationships with psychiatric inpatients units, medical inpatient units, state hospital staff members, emergency departments, residential staff members, peers, family and friends as each person requests and all out-patient healthcare providers.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the supervisor or the agency.
Registered Nurse (Bachelor's degree is preferred) with Psychiatric and Medical Inpatient and Emergency Department experience.
In addition to the above criteria this position also requires a clean NYS driving record as outlined in DePaul's personnel policy.