Activities Director NC
Posted on Mar 10, 2019 by DePaul
Category Assisted Living
Type Regular Part-Time
FLSA Status Non-Exempt
Department Senior Living
Corporation Name DePaul Adult Care Communities (DACC) Carolina
*Please note, this part-time position will be working with residents in our memory care unit.
1. Respects and maintains the confidentiality and rights of residents. Demonstrates a positive and caring
attitude toward all residents, staff and guests.
2. Develop a program designed to promote active involvement of all residents taking into consideration
individual preferences and choices. The program is to provide social, physical, intellectual, and
activities in a planned, coordinated, and structured manner, using the Activities Coordinator's Guide.
3. Plan, prepare and implement a monthly activities calendar to be posted in a prominent spot no later than
the first day of each month.
4. Review, upon move-in, personal information on the Resident Register, about each resident's interests
and capabilities. Include this information and other data obtained from the resident / family members,
on an individualized index card system or the equivalent. This information should be used when
developing activities and be updated as needed.
5. Schedule a minimum of ten (10) hours of planned activities a week.
6. Schedule outings so that each resident has the opportunity to participate in at least one outing every
7. Plan and implement one-on-one activities with residents.
8. Enable residents to enjoy solitary activities.
9. Notify residents of activities and assist and encourage them to attend.
10. Decorate the facility for holidays and make sure decorations are removed within five (5) days following a
11. Order supplies for activities according to budget. Ensure that all expenditures are accounted for from the
activity expenses and that all receipts are properly recorded and submitted.
12. Plan facility programs, parties, potluck and other celebrations with approval of the Administrator.
13. If desired, develop a volunteer program from within the community. Train and coordinate all volunteer
14. Attend staff in-service meetings.
15. Assist with new staff orientation r/t/the role of activities.
16. Possess a working knowledge of Resident's Rights.
17. Evaluate the overall effectiveness of the Activity Program, including input from the residents at least
every six (6) months and document finding. Review results with the Administrator and make changes as
18. Ensure that MSDS are available for all substances used in the Activity Department. Keep such materials
secure when not in use and supervised.
1. Warm, friendly, high-energy "bubbly" personality.
2. Genuine enjoyment of working with crafts, activities and the geriatric / adult special needs population.
3. Ability to gently but firmly encourage / coax residents to participate and enjoy success oriented
activities to feel good about themselves and increase their self-esteem.
Ability to communicate with residents and staff in English
Ability to read and write English
Ability to lift up to 50 pounds unassisted and to bodily support up to 100 pounds with minimal assistance.
Ability to visually observe residents, to hear emergency systems and verbal needs expressed by residents.
Ability to turn, stoop, bend and stretch in order to assist residents.
Ability to stand for prolonged periods.
Ability to use equipment competently.
Ability to respond to emergencies, i.e. resident choking, evacuation of residents and visitors in the event of fire.
1. High School diploma or GED, or pass the alternative examination established by the North Carolina
Department of Human Resources.
2. Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
3. Must have a minimum of one (1) year experience in Long Term Care or working with geriatric and adult
special care need population in a therapeutic professional relationship setting.
4. Must have the required references and criminal record check.
5. Must have a valid State of North Carolina Driver's license.
OTHER: The activity director hired on or after July 1, 2005 shall have completed or complete, within nine (9) months of employment or assignment to this position, the basic activity course for assisted living activity directors offered by community colleges or a comparable activity course as determined by the Department based instructional hours and content. A person with a degree in recreation administration or therapeutic recreation or who is state or nationally certified as a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist or certified by the National Certification Council for Activity Professional meets this requirement as does a person who completed the activity coordinator course of 48 hours or more through a community college before July 1, 2005.
Well-lighted, air-conditioned / heated environment; may be exposed to residents with communicable disease or confused residents who become combative. May be required to work outdoors on occasion when required by resident cookouts.