Clinical Documentation Specialist RN (Registered Nurse)
Posted on Mar 10, 2019 by Sentara - Digital CWS
RN-Associate's Degree OR
Required: Acute Care - 5 years
Preferred: Coding - 5 years
Required: Registered Nurse
Required: Communication, Coordination, Critical Thinking, Judgment and Decision Making, Microsoft Office, Project Management, Social Perceptiveness, Speaking, Technology/Computer, Writing
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital is hiring a full time Clinical Documentation Specialist RN (Registered Nurse).
UP TO A $10,000 SIGN ON BONUS PAID TO CANDIDATE SUCCESSFULLY HIRED.
Skills for Success
Five (5) years of recent experience in medical surgical or intensive care settings.
- Responsible for concurrent review of provider in-patient medical record documentation from admission to discharge.
- Ensuring that appropriate clinical severity of illness and risk mortality is captured for the level of service.
- Providing education and training as needed to the medical staff.
- Utilization of software to code documentation ICD-10 codes.
- Note: Extensive Training is provided for this position.
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital (SNGH) is the regions first Magnet Hospital. SNGH is a 525-bed medical center, and home to the area's only Level I Trauma Center, Burn Trauma Unit, and Nationally Ranked Heart Program. In addition to a first rate heart program, the hospital is home to Nightingale Regional Air Ambulance and several dedicated facilities an specialized services.
For more than a decade, Modern Healthcare magazine has ranked Sentara as one of the nation's top integrated healthcare systems. Our not-for-profit system proudly includes advanced imaging centers, nursing and assisted-living centers, outpatient campuses, physical therapy and rehabilitation services, home health and hospice agency, a 3,800-provider medical staff and four medical groups. In addition, we provide medical transport ambulances and Nightingale air ambulance, and we extend health insurance to 445,000 people through Optima Health, our award-winning health plan.
As the third largest employer in Virginia, Sentara Healthcare was named by Forbes Magazine as one of America's best large employers. We offer a variety of amenities to our employees, including, but not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Paid Annual Leave, Sick Leave
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Retirement funds with matching contribution
- Supplemental insurance policies, including legal, Life Insurance and AD&D among others
- Work Perks program including discounted movie and theme park tickets among other great deals
- Opportunities for further advancement within our organization
Join our team! We are committed to quality healthcare, improving health every day, and provide the opportunity for training, development and growth!
Acute Care experience in Medical/Surgical or ICU. All Registered Nurses who do not have their BSN will be required to sign a BSN Agreement committing to successfully obtain their BSN within five (5) years of hire.
Preferred candidates with Acute Care experience would be on Medical/Surgical units or ICU. Flexible hours are available. Extensive training and orientation provided for all staff nurses. Utilize your nursing knowledge and experience to join this exciting and growing career. Join this supportive team to review provider documentation and code using ICD-10 codes and DRG assignment. Previous experience or knowledge in ICD--10 or MS-DRGs a plus!
Must be competent with Microsoft Office, internet, and data entry. Dependable and self-directed with the ability to successfully multitask and manage conflicting priorities.
To learn more about Clinical Documentation Improvement, and the job of Clinical Documentation Specialist, please visit our professional organization's website at
keywords: RN, Registered Nurse, Clinical Documentation, Concurrent Documentation
Associated topics: ambulatory, asn, care, coronary, intensive care, mhb, neonatal, nurse rn, staff nurse, unit