Ophthalmic Technician 2
Posted on Mar 9, 2019 by Legacy Health System
Job Location: Good Samaritan Medical Ctr campus
Department: Ophthalmology Clinical
Position Status: Regular Full-Time
Avg Hrs/Wk: 40
Pay Range: USD $21.57/Hr. - USD $30.85/Hr.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Work_Days: Mon-Fri, occasional weekends
Shift Length: 8
Shift Start Time: 0800
Shift End Time: 1730
Like every other area of the Legacy community, our ophthalmology department is focused on bettering the lives of our patients. If you see your work as an ophthalmic tech as providing compassion and empathy to patients while also performing advanced technical screenings and testing, we invite you to consider this opportunity.
Dever's Eye Institute, part of Legacy Health, is currently recruiting for a Certified Ophthalmic Technician to join a team of over 100, including 22 physicians and two endowed chairs. This position is located on the Legacy Good Samaritan Medical Center campus.
Devers is known internationally for treatment and research for diseases of the Retina, Cornea, Glaucoma, and Neuro-Ophthalmology. Devers trains both fellows and residents, and it provides extensive Comprehensive Ophthalmology services, as well as Ocular Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, and Contact Lens and Vision Rehabilitation services. The institute is well supported by world renown scientists who seek new knowledge and insights into all aspects of ophthalmic diseases. We are best recognized internationally in four areas: glaucoma, especially as that relates to damage and remodeling of the optic nerve, innovations in corneal transplantation, uveitis and all aspects of inflammation in and around the eye, and the epidemiology of ocular diseases, especially glaucoma.
We participate actively in clinical trials including ones related to retinal disease, glaucoma, and corneal disease.
Legacy Health is a large not-for-profit healthcare system with six hospitals including a level 1-trauma facility, burn unit, children's hospital, Legacy Research Institute, numerous primary and specialty clinics and diagnostic laboratories serving patients throughout the Pacific Northwest. Legacy Health which was recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of the top 50 mid-size hospitals in the US. Legacy is a not-for-profit 501 (c) (3) organization.
As we consider qualified candidates, we are committed to building a culture that values diversity and is reflective of those we care for.
Portland is a sophisticated city offering diverse cultural activities and communities that appeal to a wide variety of needs and tastes. Beautiful parks and more biking paths per mile than any city in the US, promote an active lifestyle. The temperate four seasons, spectacular surroundings of the Columbia River Gorge and majestic Cascade Mountains, as well as close proximity to ocean beaches and long skiing seasons make this an opportunity for both a dynamic position and a wonderful lifestyle.
Performs technical procedures at Devers Eye Institute.
- HISTORY TAKING including Chief Complaint, Past Ocular History and Family History
- BASIC SKILLS including Visual Acuity testing, Color Vision testing, Lensometry, Amsler Grid, Evaluation of Pupils, Estimation of Anterior Chamber Depth
- PATIENT SERVICES; Ocular Dressings and Shields, Drug Delivery, Spectacle Principles,
- ASSISTING PATIENTS; Physically and Visually impaired
- CLINICAL OPTICS including Lensometry, Retinoscopy and Refractometry
- BASIC OCULAR MOTILITY including evaluation and assessment methods of various strabismus
- VISUAL FIELDS including Humphrey and Goldmann fields
- CONTACT LENES basic principles and Keratometry
- TONOMETRY including Goldmann, and Tonopen applanation
- OCULARY PHARMACOLOGY knowledge and understands medications used in ophthalmology
- INSTRUMENT MAINTENANCE
- GENERAL MEDICAL KNOWLEDGE including but not limited to; glucometer testing, blood pressure testing and administration of oxygen
Maintains and develops technical expertise through continued education and training.
- Maintains JCAHPO certification.
- Completes CME requirements to maintain certification through JCAHPO.
Develops and increases service, revenue and productivity of Devers Eye Institute.
- Contributes to steady growth in revenue.
- Receives positive feedback from physician customers.
Participates and supports research studies.
- Performs procedures with accuracy and efficiency, using current skills and knowledge of equipment.
- Obtains certification in one research study.
Performs ophthalmic tests and assists ophthalmologists with laser treatments on pediatric, adolescent, adult or geriatric patients.
- Incorporates assessment tools and adapts procedures for pediatric, adolescent, adult or geriatric patients and their disabilities.
Two years of clinical ophthalmic experience or completion of an ophthalmic training program.
LEGACY'S VALUES IN ACTION:
Follows guidelines set forth in Legacy's Values in Action.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Vet/Disabled
COA, COT, or COMT certification through JCAHPO (Joint Commission on Allied Health Professionals in Ophthalmology) required.
AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers.