Unix Engineer - Remote
Posted on Jan 5, 2023 by Synergize Consulting Ltd
We currently have a requirement for an experienced Unix Engineer, to assist our client on an initial 3 month contract.
This role is due to start January 2023 and continue initially for 3 months with view for possible further extension.
Due to the nature of the role and the time scale and requirements issued by the client, candidates have been asked to hold current and active SC clearance for this role.
We have been informed by the client that this role has been determined to fall Inside of IR35 regulations, and will be a fully remote based opportunity.
Please see key details as per the below, provided by the client for your review:
Scope and Complexity
- Usually focuses on single customer.
- Small to medium projects involving single discipline and technology.
- Applies experience and subject matter knowledge to solve common and complex business issues within established guidelines and recommends appropriate alternatives.
- Exercises independent judgment within generally defined policies and practices to identify and select a solution.
- Solves diverse and complex problems.
- May seek advice in order to make decisions on complex business issues.
- May act as a team or project leader providing direction to team activities and facilitates information validation and team decision-making process.
- Works with and under the direction of the Project Services Lead Engineer/architect and with customer nominated representatives.
- Provides guidance to employees in lower job levels.
- Provides technical support and input on the application of technology to a defined business segment.
- Demonstrates execution of the HP strategy.
- Able to communicate and present complex issues with assurance and confidence.
- Responsible for producing part or all of the technical solution to the client, in accordance with an agreed technical design.
- Has sufficient depth and breadth of technical knowledge to be individually responsible for the design and scope of deliverables within a field of expertise.
- Occasionally responsible for providing a detailed technical design for enterprise solutions.
- Understands a broad spectrum of HP technology in order to provide part or all of a detailed technical design which meets customer requirements.
- Understands HP Portfolio and how to apply it to engineered solutions.
- Contributes to knowledge tools and communities, and ensures project learnings are documented
- Knowledge sharing and reuse within practice or profession.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrates the use of consulting skills including: questioning, listening, ideas development, permission and rapport, and influencing.
- Ability to conduct/lead oral status/technical interchange meetings with customers on small to medium sized engagements.
- Owns and contributes to the technical design of customer solutions.
- Ability to translate technical details into concise and easy to understand written form.
- Ability to write relevant components of a proposal document (eg answer specific RFP/RFQ questions).
- Ability to translate verbal requirements from face to face client meetings into requirements documents, statements of work, and proposals.
- Able to discuss (within own area of expertise) requirements with the customer, and to challenge and clarify when appropriate. From the requirements, able to develop a high level design or plan, and then estimate the amount of effort required to deliver. Able to advise the engagement owner about the risks associated with this work package
- Ability to work with a team to provide written responses to technical proposals and/or reports/documentation for delivery to tech lead/project manager.
- Leading the development and delivery of specific project work packages including the installation, configuration and administration of UNIX/Linux Operating Systems.
- Demonstrates an indepth understanding of unit testing and configuration & defect life cycle management.
- Awareness of ITIL and/or CMM practices and processes.
- Demonstrates an advanced understanding of UNIX and Linux operating systems, boot sequence, run levels, service enabling/disabling server customisation.
- Demonstrates an advanced understanding of patching procedures and strategy
- Demonstrated advanced level of developing/debugging Shell Scripts csh/ksh/bash/Perl
- Indepth understanding of Networking services NIS/NIS+/DNS/TCPIP/Samba
- Understanding of web server management and configuration, Apache
- Demonstrates experience of significant upgrades, both operating systems and bespoke configurations across a wide area network with ability to work under pressure in a time constrained situation
- Exposure to Storage connectivity technologies, SAN, iSCSI
Amplify your job search: