Environmental Sustainability Senior Manager
Posted on Jan 1, 2023 by Lewis Davey
Lewis Davey are looking for an Environmental Sustainability Senior Manager to join a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. This is an exciting opportunity if you are passionate about ensuring compliance with applicable Environmental legislation and assisting with the development, implementation, and monitoring of strategies and programmes in order to ensure continual improvement in these fields.
The role will have responsibility for developing market leading Environmental Sustainability programs and associated processes to the point where they become self-sufficient within the business and require minimal coordination and maintenance only. A senior leader, the individual will have the ability to reach and influence various types of stakeholders within the business and not only design but also incorporate all new workstreams into standard day-to-day operations of the Firm. The role will be supporting the strategic direction, reviewing the shape and application of the Firm's environmental and business continuity management systems and coordinating various Environmental Sustainability activities and projects globally. They will ensure that the Firm is compliant with applicable Environmental legislation and will feed into development, implementation, and monitoring of strategies and programmes in order to ensure continual improvement in these fields. The role will also have key working relationships with the Heads and Senior Managers across the business.
Head of Environmental Sustainability, Head of Internal Communications, Head of Hospitality, Head of Document Production, Head of Engineering, Business Continuity Senior Manager, Global HSE Senior Manager, Business Services Managers (globally), Global Head of Risk Operations.
Role and responsibilities
- Review and streamline the Firm's Business Continuity and Environmental Management systems and support internal audit requirements (for the Business Continuity Management System, this is going to be a one-off activity).
- Create, set up and implement innovative Sustainability and Corporate Responsibility programs supporting the Firm's wider Sustainability goals
o Build an extensive internal network at all levels within the Firm
o Ensure buy-in of key stakeholders through design of business cases, presentation and argumentation
o Ensure coordination of approach and programs with other sustainability workstreams and fitting the Firm's governance
o Constantly monitor the market for new solutions and, using critical analysis skills and professional judgment, provide the first level of estimation of appropriateness for the business
o Ensure all programs are designed in a way which minimises manual inputs and can be handed over to other teams members or support functions across the business with full process documentation and requiring minimum supervision to operate
- Design and manage a robust global Environmental Sustainability Data program
o Engage key global stakeholders across the business to set up and maintain a GHG Inventory Management program
o Ensure constant clarity and availability of relevant data sources, including support to manual data collection, investigation, contracting and onboarding of global service providers and management of ongoing relationships with global stakeholders on the request / support basis
o Manage the Firm's global Carbon Footprint from data collection through calculations (and ongoing revisions) and preparation for assurance to reporting
o Hold accountability for the final GHG footprint figures presented to the partnership and publicly
- Support the Head of Environmental Sustainability in developing and rolling out cross-pillar Corporate Responsibility impact matrix
o Working with DE&I, PBCI and Wellbeing teams, develop a system of identifying cross-effects and cross-impacts of different Sustainability and Corporate Responsibility programs rolled out across the Firm to support our wider goals
o Build, propose and lead to implementation governance supporting the impact matrix rollout
- Lead Environmental Sustainability Compliance programs for the Firm, taking responsibility for all processes required to comply with requirements of TCFD and other existing or emerging legislation
- Maintain and manage the Firm's development, delivery and execution of the Environmental Management System (EMS) and certification for ISO14001.
- Represent the Firm, as required, on relevant committees and groups (e.g. Legal Sustainability Alliance.).
- Support day-to-day operational environmental sustainability workstreams across the Firm.
- Experience of operating at a senior management level with an environmental background.
- Experienced in the development and management of Environmental Management Systems and of ISO 14001.
- Experienced in the development and delivery of environmental sustainability strategies and associated reporting.
- Experienced in managing data streams and sustainability data management systems.
- High levels of drive for results, motivational tactics, use of performance management and metrics.
- Highly developed engagement skills, able to communicate and influence across all levels within an organisation.
- Excellent understanding of environmental sustainability legal and statutory frameworks.
- Full/working towards Full Member of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment or equivalent would be an advantage.
- Sustainability and Corporate Responsibility-related qualifications are an advantage.
Who we are looking for
- A highly creative individual with a methodical approach to problem solving.
- A process-focused and results oriented mind, ready to give up on established solutions in search for other ways of achieving their objectives.
- A person with great communication skills, able to listen to voices of others, take their comments on board and offer clear-cut solutions with a minimum level of engagement.
- An individual exposed to different cultures and professional manners, able to adapt to ever-changing environments.
- A story-teller, able to make technical detail or process interesting and engaging.
- A sustainability enthusiast with pragmatic approach to the transition to green economy.
Amplify your job search: