Posted on Feb 8, 2019 by BRINDISHE GREEN
In carrying out the tasks in this job description you have a duty (under Health & Safety legislation) to take reasonable care for the health and safety of yourself and that of others. This implies taking positive steps to monitor and maintain a safe and secure working environment. It is expected that whilst maintaining a safe and secure working environment you comply with safety rules and procedures and to ensure that nothing you do, or fail to do, puts yourself or others at risk. This includes the proper recording and reporting of hazards and accidents
The Premises Manager will be on site during working hours unless his/her duties are required elsewhere.
The post holder will work closely and in partnership with the premises staff teams within the Brindishe Federation so as to affect a coordinated and timely service and premises strategy across the federation.
The postholder will line manage and monitor the work of the assistant premises officer.
- Opening and locking of gates, doors and windows as appropriate.
- Taking reasonable steps to minimise loss or damage to property and staff.
- Patrolling site at appropriate intervals during working hours.
- Ensuring that intruders are dealt with adequately in accordance with the school's practice and subject to guidelines on health and safety requirements and where necessary the Police are informed.
- Taking responsibility for fire and intruder alarms ensuring that the necessary actions are taken to minimise risk of further intrusion and damage, pending more permanent repairs.
- Ensuring that visitors' and contractors' log book is signed reporting all burglaries to appropriate authorities including Headteacher, police, other centrally based officers of the Local Authority.
- Ensure gates and entrances are kept clear.
- Deal with dangerously parked cars outside the school gate e.g. those stopped on zigzag yellow lines.
- Ensure that keys are kept in a safe place.
- Ensure that all incidents of misconduct or improper behaviour involving pupils or adults are reported to the Headteacher.
- Maintain stock lists/inventories of equipment and furniture.
- Work with the ICT Manager to ensure all valuables (including all ICT hardware) are indelibly marked with school name.
- Taking responsibility for maintenance and upkeep of premises, including buildings, fixtures, fittings and furniture.
- Carrying out minor repairs under own initiative.
- Reporting major defects to Headteacher.
- Ordering repair work after agreement with Headteacher.
- Using specific skills or expertise where possible. This includes carpentry, electrical and plumbing repairs within own capability and in line with agreed health and safety procedures and guidelines.
- Engaging in preventative maintenance - especially in order to eliminate potential hazards.
- Taking responsibility for checks on drains, gullies, toilets etc. taking appropriate action as necessary.
- Taking responsibility for monitoring contractors on site including cleaning staff who are in school during your working hours ensuring safety procedures are adhered to and work completed satisfactorily.
- Reporting defaults in cleaning to the appropriate line manager.
- Taking responsibility for appropriate notification to exterminate pests and vermin ensuring that such work is carried out while pupils are not on site.
- Ensure that spills of bodily fluids are quickly and safely cleaned away and toilet areas are clean and well stocked with necessary supplies throughout day subject to guidelines on Health and Safety.
- Organising the cleaning of internal and external windows throughout the school using contractors as necessary.
- Ordering and keeping supplied products and materials for children and staff toilets Writing of all premises risk assessments including updating of all assessed risks as necessary. Organise and manage the following statutory maintenance checks and other annual checks and keep all records, certificates and weekly test logs up to date according to Statutory Maintenance requirements: Gas safety checks, boiler servicing, Fire fighting appliances, Fire alarm testing, Intruder alarm testing, PE equipment servicing, Pat testing, fixed electrical testing, Cosh sheets, Electrical works certificates, Clinical waste contract, feminine hygiene bins, pest control, emergency lighting, water and air conditioning testing and negotiate better contracts where possible or necessary.
- Ensure the playground and site are litter and debris and hazard free at all times.
- Organise weeding of hard surfaces excluding the use of pesticides except during the school holidays
- Arrange for line markings on site to be regularly repainted.
- Monitor cleaning and liaise with contract cleaning teams to get the appropriate level of cleaning to the best standard including the wooden floors
- Assess and enable, where necessary, areas to be deep clean including all furniture moving and high level cleaning
Own, manage and maintain the schools premises action plan detailing all strategic projects, costs and timelines
- Responsible for the first line Monitoring and Management of budgets for Premises and Cleaning
- To monitor and approve expenditure under other appropriate budget headings as may be delegated by the SLT to be reviewed annually.
- Complete purchase orders for supplies and minor works and submit to the Head teacher for approval
- Obtain any quotations/tenders for building works in accordance with SLT/governors requests in line with the LA Finance manual & Schools Financial policy and regulations
- Be responsible for checking contractor's schedules of work, method statements, risk assessments and health and safety policies
- Ensuring that written quotations for work are secured according to the Schools Financial policy and regulations
- Check that all building work has been carried out satisfactorily in consultation with Head/ Chair of Resources and pass invoices to School Business Manager for payment
- Dustbin/Recycling bin management - including arranging extra collections when necessary.
- Help all school staff - e.g. assisting with large display mounting, moving of classroom and shared area furniture, repairs to classroom/school equipment.
- Erecting and putting away larger outdoor nursery and reception equipment, stage and hall equipment and furniture as required.
- Within storage capabilities removing and storing furniture in available storage facilities.
- Opening and locking up for evening meetings or events as requested by the Headteacher/Governing Body.
- Furniture moving where necessary.
- Taking responsibility for supplies of fuel and water, and verifying the accuracy of amounts including gas, electric and water meter readings submitting these to the finance staff as required
- Dealing with faults and defects including checking and replacing fuses as necessary up to 30 Amps. Arranging an annual electrical check with approved contractors
- Checking functioning of systems in order of maximise fuel efficiency.
- Checking and replace lamps, tubes etc. in light fittings or arrange for this to be done by contractors as necessary.
- Replacing fire alarm glasses if appropriate.
- Testing and recording fire alarm and other alarms weekly.
- Checking expansion and header tanks regularly, daily inspection of boiler dials.
- Reporting faults to appropriate personnel at school and at Lewisham.
- Maintaining a safe and healthy environment referring all hazards to the Headteacher/LA.
- Having knowledge of use and maintenance of fire precautions and equipment.
- Clearing ice and snow to give access to and exit from site.
- Investigating and reporting all accidents and potential hazards arising from plant, equipment and fittings for which they have responsibility and taking remedial action as required.
- Checking all doors are secured against unauthorised entry where appropriate.
- Banking any monies, as and when required.
- Liaise with other users of the school site.
- Overseeing and coordinating deliveries of stock, supplies etc. to correct storage site.
- Support the IT manager to ensure the efficient working of all electrical equipment alerting contract engineers where necessary.
- Checking that all electrical devices, electrical plugs and wiring are safe and properly connected.
- Organise internal and external painting and decorating as approved by the Headteacher.
- Monitoring charges from contractors - keeping time-on-job checks and appropriate record of equipment tests.
- Monitoring the work of contractors with particular regard to safe working practices and consideration of school community.
- Any other duties within the scope of the post.
- Organise the maintenance of school grounds including grass cutting..... click apply for full job details