Chief Operating Officer
Posted on Feb 7, 2019 by Academies of Math and Science
Academies of Math and Science
2016 Arizona Charter School of the Year
2018 Runner-Up Reader's Choice Awards: Best Place to Work
Chief Operating Officer - Tucson, AZ
Have you been in a key growth role in the expansion of a fast-growing charter school network or other analogous enterprise? At AMS Impact Group, the back office service provider to the Academies of Math and Science, your skills and talents will facilitate the rapid expansion of a high-performing charter school network of 5 schools serving 4000 scholars. We are currently breaking ground for our 6th and 7th campuses to serve 6000 scholars by next year. As Chief Operating Officer for AMS, you will spearhead plans to serve 10,000 scholars in Arizona by August 2021 and lead expansion into new states.
Why work for us?
We have a track record of being one of the highest performing charter school networks in Arizona for at-risk communities. Our goal is to be one of the largest and highest performing charter schools in the nation. We are looking for a rock star executive to add to our driven team as we strive to improve education in our nation's low income communities.
Ideal candidates will have a track record of tremendous success (and stories of averted failure or lessons learned from failure) leading an organization in the following:
- Scaling an organization to several times its size at a growth rate of 25-50%+ per year, building the systems to sustain 25-50% growth, and executing growth plans including management of multiple Director or VP-level personnel and as many of the following departments as possible: educational programs, SPED, HR, talent recruitment, marketing, finance, construction and facilities, legal, and technology departments.
- Managing HR personnel and/or overseeing complex HR issues including ongoing compliance with HR laws and legal proceedings.
- Overseeing the management, as an Owner's rep., of at least several construction and other large implementation projects involving various municipalities and hired consultants.
- Building networks in new markets through engagement of all stakeholders including city staff, elected officials, and charter community including authorizers and other organizations.
- Negotiating and reviewing the business and legal terms of many large and complex contracts over $5 MM. You must have a strong working knowledge of standard service, construction, and HR contract business and legal terms.
- Designing and overseeing the building of KPI's and procedures through process mapping and other tools across multiple departments.
- Designing viable financial models for growing organizations to maximize mission achievement and realization-a knowledge of finance and basic accounting concepts is mandatory.
- Reporting to, recruiting, engaging, and maintaining great relationships with volunteer Boards of Directors and Governing Boards.
- Managing media crises by proactively protecting and promoting the brand.
- Change leadership and management with proven experience leading a team to sustain high levels of energy and commitment during high-growth, high-effort, and uncertain times.
Qualified Candidates Must:
- Have obtained a Bachelor's degree or higher
- Believe that growth and quality are not tradeoffs if the right people and systems are in place and will have demonstrated that through their track record of producing both concurrently.
- Be an excellent project manager capable of managing multiple projects and teams across different departments concurrently.
- Be extremely detail-oriented, results-driven, and ambitious on behalf of the company.
- Take great pride in the quality of their team's work and view quality of work as a reflection of personal values and commitment to excellence.
- Love the art of negotiation, building relationships, and promoting an organization that produces excellent student outcomes.
- Be comfortable both negotiating business and legal terms for community and company benefit.
- Be able to add value to every department of the Academies of Math and Science through the questioning of assumptions, clarifying of goals, and prior leadership experience.
- Have a personal mission regarding the power of education and always strive to make a difference for at-risk communities.
- Be able to evaluate expansion opportunities through financial modeling (using existing historical costs)
- Believe there is always a way to get the project done through building better relationships, understanding the other party, and finding uncovered value for them
- Have a history of creating great relationships or working effectively with people others view as difficult
- Leading a charter school network into a new state.
- Developing charter contacts outside of the state, particular in Florida, Texas, North Carolina, and Georgia.
- Have great relationships in place with lenders, investors, and other sources of capital
- We will consider operations and business development people from other industries outside of charter schools who have been responsible for rolling out many new locations with understanding and responsibility for the entire rollout process including evaluation of financing, relationship building, negotiating terms with different stakeholders including municipalities and sellers and vendors (including general contractors), final review of contracts (in conjunction with legal), enlisting political and other support, and all matters of compliance.
How to apply:
Apply in 5 minutes through the link below. Please include the following in PDF or .docx format:
1. A detailed resume describing your experience and data-supported accomplishments.
2. A cover letter showcasing your written communication skills and demonstrating your alignment with the AMS mission and competencies.
Compensation: $80,000 - $140,000
GreenLife Healthcare Staffing