Bioinformatics Associate I
Posted on Feb 5, 2019 by Ascent
South San Francisco, CA
The candidate will participate in the creation of large DNA libraries used for screening assays. The primary role will be to obtain gene lists, extract, analyze, annotate and organize protein sequence information from external (such as Uniprot) as well as internal databases.
- Molecular Biology and/or Biochemistry training is required.
- Knowledge and an understanding of protein structure/function relationships are highly preferred.
- Familiarity with membrane and secreted proteins is a plus.
- Strong Excel formatting skills are required.
- A basic knowledge of scripting/programming (Python, Shell, Perl, or similar) is required for extracting, transforming, and loading data.
- The candidate will also be expected to access and interact with databases using APIs. Experience with database query and design is a plus. Knowledge of SQL, R or Unix programming also a plus.
- The candidate must have strong interpersonal and communication skills and be able to communicate and collaborate effectively with bioinformatics and research scientists.
- The successful candidate will also have excellent time management and organizational skills.
Ascent is a leading national technology consulting and professional services firm that focuses on tactical and strategic consulting. Ascent's fundamental business is providing staffing services to Large Enterprise clients in our core market verticals: Financial Services, Healthcare, and Life Sciences. We focus the majority of our efforts in Staff Augmentation support of Large Enterprise Clients who utilize a Vendor Management System. Ascent works as both a reliable supplier in support of programs, as well as a Strategic Advisor in support of enterprise efforts to establish best in class preferred vendor programs. Ascent was ranked in the 2007 and 2008 Inc. 500 and recognized specifically for its innovative work in staff augmentation support of Large Enterprise preferred vendor accounts.
If you are ready to propel your career to new heights… read on. We are looking for talented and dedicated colleagues to join our phenomenal team. At Ascent, we have created an environment where culture, commitment and opportunity converge to yield a truly unique place to work. We know that every employee has something important to say and that every employee is integral to our success. Where else can you walk over to a founder and talk about your ideas to help build our business and have that idea implemented in 48 hours? More importantly, we do everything we can to make sure our employees not only have great jobs, but great lives.