Data Analyst, Integrity and Investigations
Posted on Feb 5, 2019 by National Basketball Association
As a global sports and media business, the NBA is so much more. While Basketball Operations runs the league's on-court activities, other departments manage relationships with television and digital media partners, develop marketing partnerships with some of the world's most recognizable companies, oversee the licensing of NBA merchandise, and handle a wide range of responsibilities that drive the NBA's success.
The NBA Legal Department provides advice and counsel with respect to the League's activities and businesses on a global basis. The Data Analyst, Integrity and Investigations, will be responsible for supporting the League-wide integrity monitoring program, primarily related to sports betting. The Data Analyst will also support investigations into allegations of misconduct.
The Data Analyst will collaborate with individuals from various League office departments to identify and collect data that may be relevant to developing a comprehensive view of integrity risk to the organization. The Data Analyst will also work with external resources, including companies that conduct ongoing monitoring of the gaming industry, to identify and collect relevant information that can be incorporated into the League's ongoing integrity monitoring efforts. The Data Analyst will support the development and implementation of a data analytics platform to track and analyze such data, and will be responsible for ensuring that the data from all sources is timely, accurate, and relevant. The Data Analyst will manage the platform, including by ensuring that the data is properly ingested and providing regular reporting through dashboards and visualizations. To the extent that there are any alerts or allegations of misconduct, the Data Analyst will support the investigation of such allegations.
- Implement and maintain the League's data analytics platform(s) to manage the ongoing monitoring of internal and external information related to gaming;
- Coordinate with other departments and third-parties to identify internal and external sources of meaningful information and assist in the process of data collection;
- Work with and coordinate the integration of multiple data sets into the selected data analytics platform(s) and/or visualization tool(s);
- Work with technical partners to automate data flows and reduce reliance on manual data development;
- Develop queries and manage the technical aspects of data interrogation;
- Maintain a reporting mechanism and protocols to ensure appropriate communication of alerts and/or findings, including through visualization and dashboards;
- Oversee information requests and project activities to ensure accurate, timely, and efficient reporting deliverables; and
- Support the investigation and review of any alerts
- Five+ years of experience in data analytics or a comparable area of expertise
- Integrity monitoring experience and/or understanding of the gaming industry preferred
- Ability to exercise discretion and use independent judgment in making decisions and work with minimal functional guidance; demonstrated project management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, ability to share findings with non-technical audience, and deal effectively with the senior management, staff members, and vendors
- Exceptional problem solving and issue-spotting skills
- Excellent interpersonal and time management capabilities
- Experience with data analytics platforms, such as Symantic Pro, Symantic Cortex, IBM i2
- Understanding of statistical modeling techniques
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: R, Python, SQL query writing, working with JSON/XML data
- Data transfer and encryption knowledge, such as sftp, pgp, and others; and
- Knowledge of Cloud platforms, such as AWS, Azure, and others
Educational Background Required:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a comparable technical discipline
We Consider Applicants For All Positions On The Basis Of Merit, Qualifications And Business Needs, And Without Regard To Race, Color, National Origin, Religion, Sex, Gender Identity, Age, Disability, Alienage Or Citizenship Status, Ancestry, Marital Status, Creed, Genetic Predisposition Or Carrier Status, Sexual Orientation, Veteran Status, Familial Status, Status As A Victim Of Domestic Violence Or Any Other Status Or Characteristic Protected By Applicable Federal, State, Or Local Law.
Nearest Major Market: Manhattan
Nearest Secondary Market: New York City
Job Segment: Database, Investigation, Developer, Information Systems, Computer Science, Legal, Technology