Head of Stores, North America
Posted on Feb 5, 2019 by Under Armour
The Head of Stores is responsible for creating and implementing field strategies that drive profitable sales growth, cultivating teammate leadership and engagement and delivering best in class customer experience in Under Armour's Factory House and Brand House stores in the US and Canada. This individual will lead a field organization of 6,000+ teammates responsible for driving retail sales in 180+ stores. The position will be based out of our Global Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland.
The Head of Stores is a key member of the NA DTC Retail Leadership Team, and partners closely with Marketing, Merchandising, Visual Merchandising, Planning & Allocation, Store Design, Retail Finance, Asset Protection, and Human Resources.
- Leads, directs and develops NA DTC retail field Regional Directors and sets the strategy and vision for District Managers and store management to drive profitable sales and market share growth for the Brand.
- Implement new strategies and execute current plans to generate and grow the business, ensuring achievement of sales targets.
- Monitor store financial plans and reports to identify sales opportunities. Develop and deliver action plans to address non-performing areas.
- Lead and drive stores to focus on providing a unique and brand differentiating customer experience.
- Establishes critical partnerships with cross-functional business partners in field and corporate office to continuously create alignment on brand strategy, vision, customer needs, competitive positioning, market opportunities, and drive operational excellence in order to achieve high performance.
- Instills a culture that is customer first, executes effective creative merchandising and marketing strategies, and delivers a best in class branded in-store experience.
- Leads and inspires functional team to be: product obsessed, customer-focused, innovative, fast-moving and team-oriented.
- Accountable for financial performance and P&L of the NA DTC Retail Field business.
- Ensure consistent execution of merchandise presentation, sales, and operational standards.
- Recommend new, enhanced procedures and systems, focusing on improved productivity and simplification.
- Organize and conduct regular retail team trainings and seasonal meetings to drive alignment, team connection and improved performance.
- Provide leadership and direction to the field by communicating priorities as well as sales goals/guidelines while ensuring talent and business growth are positioned to achieve short and long-term goals.
- Recruit a qualified team of sales-focused field leaders and build a bench for future talent needs. Conduct ongoing talent reviews and establish development plans for high potential leaders.
- Partner with Regional Directors to develop and execute events and programs to support store initiatives, new store openings, etc.
- Provide feedback to the corporate team based on regular store interactions and field visits. This role will be the "voice" of the field for the corporate and executive team.
- Ensures UA is recognized as a great place to work and environment is aligned with brand values.
Education and/or Experience
- 15 plus years of retail experience (specialty preferred) of increasing responsibility including leading large organizations (including 3-5 years of full P&L ownership)
- Multi-unit field leadership experience as well as influence and integration with corporate office teams
- 4-year degree preferred
- Demonstrated track record of success leading and inspiring retail teams to maximize sales, operating efficiencies, and profitability
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to assess, attract and develop talent.
- Ability to listen, to discern, and to respect the beliefs of teammates.
- Ability to influence and negotiate within indirect reporting structures.
- High-impact communicator
- Ability to lead in fast-paced, dynamic, high-growth environment
- Experience managing growth and leading new store openings
- Experience with and strong understanding of financial statements
- Excellent strategic planning skills
- Requires 50 - 75% travel