Sr Researcher Biomechanics
Posted on Feb 5, 2019 by Nike
Innovation is oxygen for Nike, Inc., and the company depends on its talented, global workforce to breathe originality and curiosity into everything they do. The Nike Advanced Innovation team strives for lighter, faster, bigger, smarter, smaller, more efficient, more sustainable and more personal. They imagine, research, analyze and invent the next industry-changing technology to advance athletic performance. In roles that span research, design, materials and manufacturing, the Advanced Innovation team looks to the future and focuses on making the seemingly impossible, possible.
As a Senior Researcher in our world-class sport research laboratory, you will work with a multidisciplinary team of researchers and innovators within the Nike Explore Team at Nike. You will be tasked to create and lead a robust research agenda aimed at gathering, proving, and applying objective insights to drive new product concepts across different innovation teams. You will direct a team to conduct cutting-edge, independent biomechanics research focusing on athletes of all levels. You will lead as a creative scientist - questioning methods, results and applications - and think outside normal paradigms to find creative ways around barriers to enhancing performance or preventing injury. You will seek better ways to perform research and develop new data collection and analytical tools.
As a successful candidate, you will demonstrate at an expert level:
- Skills and abilities in conducting research and applying scientific insights, specifically related to sport biomechanics, performance, and injury.
- Knowledge of the scientific method, including but not limited to: observation, formulation of testable hypotheses, experimental design, statistical methods and analysis & interpretation of results.
- Ability to apply scientific insights to influence innovative product.
- Understanding and ability to use and troubleshoot all existing tools commonly used for biomechanics analyses.
- Ability to develop new tools and/or methods for answering scientific inquiry.
- Ability to communicate complex scientific topics to a diverse, non-technical audience
- Display an entrepreneurial spirit
- Provides input to NSRL Directors toward the development, management, and execution of short and near-term strategies critical to the organization's success.
- Integrates brand, category (in-line & advanced), and advanced research & development plans.
- Anticipates future scientific research & methodological opportunities, trends, and vulnerabilities.
- Develops recommendations and executes high-impact opportunities to position the organization appropriately.
- Defines and manages scientific research/innovation projects across functional groups & functional teams.
- Partners in the development of multidisciplinary teams (defined or virtual)
- Creates and defines the scientific project strategy, including the goal, scope, structure, and timeline.
- Leads team throughout the project; ensures team identifies tasks and data required to answer research questions, provide valuable scientific insights, and apply the findings to performance products.
- Identifies and manages relationships with research partners.
- Defines, oversees, plans, and executes scientific project research and development for functional group and/or functional team.
- Leads team in establishing knowledge required and best practices to apply scientific insights towards innovative product.
People Management / Leadership:
- Leads NSRL functional team to facilitate and maximize individual and team performance.
- Establishes team support.
Ideation & Visioning:
- Leads as a creative scientist; questions methods, results, and application. Thinks outside normal research paradigms to find creative ways around barriers to performance or injury prevention.
- Seeks better ways to perform scientific research, and apply the findings to product innovation.
- Meets complex challenges with imaginative state of the art approaches supported by feasible solutions. Generates new knowledge and insights about performance-based products that result in growth opportunities and competitive advantages in the marketplace.
- Advocates for NSRL performance research, and actively disseminates new ideas, insights, and concepts across multiple business groups, garnering support and buy-in.
- Markets concepts and new ideas internally and externally through Nike PR group.
- Initiates and leads meetings with appropriate individuals, teams, or outside companies during various phases of the research/innovation process to review, evaluate, update and drive the decision making process leading to the completion of the research agenda.
- Directs the application of scientific insights across NSRL and AR&D functional teams serving as consultant/resource to ensure scientific integrity during the "hand-off."
- Communicates and develops relationships with high-profile elite and professional athletes.
- Ph.D. degree in human movement science (biomechanics, kinesiology), engineering, biomedical engineering, ergonomics, or related field +2 years relevant work experience.
- In lieu of Ph.D. degree, will accept MSc in similar field, with 7 years relevant work experience
- Proven track record leading a scientific research team
- Proven track record of conducting cutting edge running, or gait, biomechanics research
- Footwear or product experience is desirable.
- Experience dealing with multiple business units and functional groups is desirable.
- Experience working with elite and/or professional athletes desirable.