Posted on Feb 5, 2019 by MLB Advanced Media
MLB Data Operations is seeking stats Gameday Support to assist and edit minor league baseball games in 2019 and beyond.
Gameday Support is responsible for digitally assisting stringers at minor league ballparks, which provides the data used in the live content applications on MILB.com, including MILB First Pitch app, Gameday and also real-time highlights and text alerts, and by our business partners. This is a perfect part-time job for a responsible, computer-savvy person who happens to be a big baseball fan.
- Communicate with stringers at ballparks throughout the country using Slack, to assist them with any pre-game information: rosters, umpires, weather conditions, etc.;
- During the game, monitor the results of every pitch and game event(plays, substitutions, etc.) using our proprietary software and codinglanguage;
- Work closely with the ballpark stringers to ensure proper scoring of all game events and accuracy of data, and provide troubleshooting support;
- After the game, review all post-game information and validate all stats and data in our scoring software against the box score provided by the Official
- Exceptional (and demonstrable) knowledge of baseball and how to score a baseball game;
- Experience as a baseball official scorer is highly desirable. Additionally, work related to quality assurance and/or client relations is an asset;
- Strong computer proficiency (Windows OS and Windows-based software), the ability to quickly learn and operate new software, and a comfort communicating clearly and concisely via Slack;
- Available to work weekdays, nights and weekends;
- A "team player" with a great attitude, including but not limited to a willingness to make and learn from mistakes and the ability to work closely and cooperatively, and take direction from staff;
- A great attention to detail, while working in a fast paced environment;
- It is a fun job and we pay people to watch baseball, but it's also an important job and we want people who will take the responsibility seriously.
- New York City area employees are preferred, but others will be considered based on experience.
Gameday Support should be able to read play-by-play as well as a box score and determine things such as:
- Earned runs vs unearned runs vs team unearned
- If a pitcher should receive a hold, blown save, or save
- If a player should or should not be credited with an RBI
New Gameday Support members will undergo a 2-4week correspondence training program, and score several practice games to ensure accuracy.ONLYthose who reply via this link will be considered, and due to volume, we may be unable to respond to all applicants.