Senior Project Manager
Posted on Nov 23, 2022 by Methods Business and Digital Technology Limited
Methods are recruiting for a Senior Project Manager to join on a permanent basis.
The post holder will be Home-based (UK travel will be required and at times you may need to stay away from home)
Since our establishment in 1990, Methods has partnered with a range of central government departments and local public services to transform the way the public sector operates in the UK.
Our mission is to improve and safeguard public-facing services. We apply digital thinking, innovation and change delivery skills to ensure the future of our public services is centred around our citizens.
We passionately support our clients in the success of their projects while working collaboratively to share skill sets and solve problems. At Methods we have fun while working hard; we are not afraid of making mistakes and learning from them.
The Senior Project Manager role has responsibilities for client delivery within the Change Delivery Practice. The post-holder will be part of the growing Change Delivery practice and will be expected to work across the Change & Innovation Portfolio.
The Change & Innovation Portfolio brings together the capabilities to analyse, design and develop innovative solutions and services, with the project and programme management expertise to deliver business change. We support our public sector clients to deliver sustainable change and innovation, using knowledge transfer and co-delivery to build their internal capabilities and create positive impact.
The Change Delivery Practice's mission is to support our clients design and delivery successful change through quality P3M (Portfolio, Programme and Project Management) consultancy and knowledge transfer that builds sustainable capability across the public sector
They will be responsible for supporting clients deliver change successfully, managing the delivery of projects across the change life cycle, initiating and managing delivery controls and support and providing proportionate assurance. They are responsible for helping clients design and deliver projects, understand the value of the different project methodologies, alongside contributing to our practice approaches and collateral so that knowledge is retained and reused.
The ideal candidate will have at least five years' experience working in programme and project environments and experience of working in technology and/or business change consultancy. They will have relevant qualifications and applied practitioner expertise in the different project methodologies (waterfall and agile). They will ideally have at least one area of specialist project management methodology knowledge.
Successful applicants will have experience of successful project delivery and a broad understanding of the UK public services landscape with experience in different sectors. In addition to demonstrable stakeholder engagement skills, they will have a good understanding about the challenges faced in public sector delivery and an interest in innovating with new techniques and technology to support the more efficient project delivery.
The Senior Project Manager role will require you to:
- Manage projects end-to-end, ensuring delivery to agreed parameters of quality, time and cost.
- Lead the development of the overall project approach.
- Collaborate in the planning of projects/programmes ensuring effective collaboration with all colleagues and teams.
- Understand high-level technical design and be able to facilitate debate and drive decisions on appropriate solutions.
- Ensure relevant stakeholders and team members are engaged throughout, processes and timelines are agreed upon and communicated to ensure successful project delivery.
- Ensure the project is commercially viable and will deliver value, considering the impacts and opportunities for existing services.
- Manage stakeholders, maintain the pace for delivery and work with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Foster collaboration across project and internal boundaries.
- Manage plans, risks, issues, and dependencies with effective escalation where necessary, owning them until they are resolved.
- Manage team dynamics, encouraging collaboration and shared ownership throughout the team. Deal with conflict and help establish a positive team culture.
- Actively manage change and governance for their projects, taking all cross-project impacts into account.
- Manage integration and co-ordination with other delivery teams and project and programme governance.
- Track and manage project progress and budget, providing helpful and accurate reporting to more senior project managers and/or governance boards.
- Contribute to business development, ie extensions, further work opportunities
- Contribute to the development of new products and services and evolve existing products and services in line with market knowledge and company capability
- Contribute to and support internal change projects
- Actively participate in Communities of Practice
Ideal candidates will demonstrate:
- Previous experience of delivering projects within a complex and dynamic environment, supporting multiple projects such across multiple disciplines.
- Previous experience of a full project life cycle and a track record of managing multiple initiatives concurrently.
- Strong knowledge in project Methodologies, Prince 2, Agile, SCRUM, SDLC/Waterfall
- Specialist knowledge of project management methods and approaches in a large scale and complex environment
- Able to build successful delivery teams and understand team styles and how people work together
- Able to maintain, influence and motivate a team
- Able to create an open and collaborative environment to work in, be flexible, adaptable
- A commitment to maintaining your own professional development
Desirable skills and experience:
- Previous experience managing project teams across disparate locations.
- Effective negotiation and resource planning.
- Experience of public sector project management
- Project management qualifications and experience
Methods is passionate about its people; we want our colleagues to develop the things they are good at and enjoy.
By joining us you can expect:
- Autonomy to develop and grow your skills and experience
- Be part of exciting project work that is making a difference in society
- Strong, inspiring and thought-provoking leadership
- A supportive and collaborative environment
As well as this, we offer:
- Formal training courses, a management development programme and access to online LinkedIn Learning
- Wellness 24/7 Confidential employee assistance programme
- Commitment to charitable causes and two paid volunteering days a year
- Time off 25 days a year
- Pension Salary Exchange Scheme with 4% employer contribution and 5% employee contribution
- Discretionary Company Bonus based on company and individual performance
- Life Assurance of 4 times base salary
- Private Medical Insurance which is non-contributory (spouse and dependants included)
- Worldwide Travel Insurance which is non-contributory (spouse and dependants included)