Histology Tech I - Certified
Posted on Feb 2, 2019 by Ascension
We Are Hiring
Histology Tech I - Certified - Lab Histology Anc 001 - FT,Day - St Agnes Hospital-Baltimore MD - Baltimore,MD
Why Join Ascension?
For more than 150 years, Saint Agnes Hospital, part of Ascension, has been dedicated to the art of healing by providing exceptional care to the greater Baltimore area. Built on a strong foundation of excellent medical care and compassion, Saint Agnes and the physicians who practice here are committed to providing the best care for our patients for many years to come.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with St. Agnes Healthcare-MD, you will have the opportunity to
Histology Tech I, collects and prepares tissue specimens for routine and special procedures to confirm a patient diagnosis.
- Follows established procedures for collecting and processing biological specimens for analysis.
- Inputs patient demographics into computer system. Reports results and maintains documentation.
- Operates and maintains equipment used for embedding and sectioning specimens.
- Follows safety requirements and appropriately handles and disposes of chemicals.
- Applies theoretical knowledge of fixation, dehydration, infiltration in tissue processing, decalcification, embedding and staining to produce high quality histologic slides.
- Appropriately evaluates test orders and associated specimens for validity.
- Knows and applies specimen tissue codes, CPT codes required for accurate specimen accessioning, testing and billing.
What You Will Need
- Required Credential(s):
- Certified Laboratory Tech specializing in Histology credentialed from the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC) obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date.
Education and Work Experience:
- HS or Equivalent
- Required: High School Diploma or equivalent Preferred: Degree in Biology or basic science related field
- Required: Clinical experience as a component of program accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) or one year of recent experience as a Histology technician in a hospital Histology laboratory setting. Preferred: Five (5) years of recent and extensive experience in a hospital Histology laboratory setting.
Equal Employment Opportunity