Posted on Feb 2, 2019 by Thompson Rivers University
Open to both Internal and external
Support Staff (CUPE)
Posting In effect from
Closing Application Date
closing date for internal CUPE applicants
Internal CUPE candidates must submit their application by 4pm on the "closing date for internal CUPE applicants".
Applications will be reviewed commencing the closing date and may continue until the position is filled
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (If Applicable)
The Hours of work are subject to change depending upon departmental requirements
The hours of work will be Monday to Friday, 7 hours a day, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
This accounting position provides support to the Finance department in a variety of areas of responsibility. This includes account reconciliations, analysis and preparation of journal entries; preparation of internal and external financial statements; preparation and remittance of a variety of governmental and non-governmental reports; as well as general accounting duties including special projects and reports. This position will perform reviews and analysis that require working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, selected CRA rules and regulations, high degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reconciles and analyzes balance sheet and income statement accounts including preparation of associated journal entries and working papers with minimal direction.
- Prepares divisional and organizational financial statements or reports
- Compiles, analyzes and interprets a variety of financial and transactional information to review and improve business and accounting processes as well as system setup.
- Prepares working papers and other associated documents for yearend and various audit requirements.
- Reviews and verifies accounting entries and adjustments to help maintain the integrity of accounting and reporting systems.
- Develops and produces routine and ad hoc management information reports for a varied audience.
- Provides a variety of business support, project assistance and analysis for the Finance department management team.
- Prepares and remits reports to various governmental and non-governmental agencies such as Canada Revenue Agency and BC Provincial Government, Statistics Canada and others as required.
- Assist in the forecasting process, budgeting, and internal audits. Works with the management team to identify and strengthen departmental internal controls and processes.
- Assists other departmental and TRU staff with advice, training, and expertise on the use of the financial systems.
- Canadian Professional Accounting Designation (CA, CGA, CMA)
- Five years recent related progressive accounting experience in a computerized environment including experience in developing spreadsheets, financial statements, analytical reports as well as general accounting responsibilities
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE OR ABILITIES RELATED TO THE JOB
- Experience in summarizing, analyzing and interpreting financial data
- Current working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Working knowledge of business and accounting processes
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communications skills.
- Demonstrated skills in planning and innovative problem solving.
- Experience working with computerized accounting systems.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to use various resources to research accounting and/or tax issues
- Ability to cope effectively in an environment of change and fiscal responsibility.
- Sitting at desk and computer for long periods of time; general office conditions.
Please Note: If you are selected for interview, External Candidates will be required to bring a copy of their transcripts to the interview
The salary for the above position is determined by the Collective Agreement with the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 4879, as it presently exists.
CUPE Grade 10 $31.59
This Position is not subject to a 90% start rate for new Employees.
Kamloops, BC CA (Primary)
# of Hires Needed
Thompson Rivers University -> Finance -> AVP, Finance
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment:
Thompson Rivers University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
NOTE: To learn more about living in Kamloops and Thompson Rivers University please visit our Web Site. Living in Kamloops and working at the TRU
Thompson Rivers University
Warner Center Marriott
Marriott La Jolla