Posted on Jan 31, 2019 by Anonymous
Business area: Highways
Kier Local Highways are currently recruiting for a Structures Inspector to join the Surrey Council Highways Maintenance Contract.
Kier Highways design roads, bridges and intelligent transport systems (ITS), covering strategic and nationally important roads, as well as local roads serving local communities. Our projects range from major improvements to complete renewals of roads and structures. With specialist teams, we manage complex works from conception through to handover at the end of maintenance periods.
* Undertake and assist with bridge inspections ensuring that they are carried out safely on the Network with all recorded defects being managed to maintain the Clients Structures in a good and safe condition.
* Identify and report Maintenance Actions and/or alternative agreed formats; identify defects for maintenance work with outline costs, recommend suitable solutions, and areas for further inspection SIs or monitoring.
* Assist with technical support, day to day running and development of the bridge management team
* Assist with the planning of annual routine inspection programme
* To operate plant & equipment relevant to role (with appropriate training).
* Actively promote Health and Safety in the workplace, setting a good example to other employees and ensuring awareness of and compliance with general Health and Safety responsibilities as set out in the Health and Safety Management System.
* To be able to work nights, weekends and Public Holidays as required by the inspection programmes.
· Be available to be on standby in a 1 in 3 week rota and attend emergency inspections outside of normal working hours (16:30 to 06:00). Assist the Out of Hours Emergency Hub in ascertaining the condition of an asset that may have been subject to damage so they can arrange for a suitable make safe solution
Desirable Skills and experience:
* Certified as an inspector under the LANTRA Bridge Inspector Certification Scheme (BICS), or proactively working towards certification.
* Experience of bridge inspections to UK standards and knowledge of materials testing
* Knowledge of materials testing.
* Good general civil engineering knowledge. Ideally some construction site experience.
* Full Valid Driving licence is essential.
* Current CSCS, confined space training certification, MEWP operator/IPAF, and PTS training/certification desirable.
Make the journey. Leave a legacy.
Being part of Kier means living our values of being collaborative, enthusiastic and forward thinking. We all have the potential to shape our world, and it's through these values that we will leave a lasting legacy. Bring your talent and ambition to Kier and you will be given the scope and opportunity to invest in your own future, to build your expertise and contribute to a rich and diverse culture.
Kier is an inclusive employer.
Let's shape your world together