Legal Counsel (Land Development Lawyer)
Posted on Jan 31, 2019 by Anonymous
- Providing sound legal advice and assisting with the structuring, negotiation, drafting and delivery of complex project arrangements alongside risk management, governance and compliance for the division
* Main responsibility is to assist in complex commercial project arrangements particularly in placemaking, land development, district heating and cooling scheme projects thereby mitigating risk
* Reviewing, negotiating and/or drafting agreements and conducting contract negotiations with project counterparties;
* Assisting in the governance of transactions at local and group level;
* Working closely with the relevant members of the business
* Management of external legal resource on particular projects.
Outcome, Results and Key Performance Indicators:
* Provide timely, high quality, practical and commercially focussed legal advice balancing legal risk with the commercial needs of the business.
* Negotiation of legal terms and complete standard and non-standard contractual agreements with counterparties.
* Successful management of external advisers.
Dimensions of job:
* This position has no formal budgetary accountabilities, however the candidate will be responsible for managing external legal expenditure.
* This position has no direct staff reports.
The candidate will work in close proximity to the Head of Legal along with liasing with external members of the business ie Senior Management, BD, External Legal Advisors#
Knowledge and Skills:
* Good knowledge of relevant areas of law including corporate and project documents, joint ventures, real estate, land development/regeneration, construction (both industry standard and bespoke forms) and funding arrangements.
* Strong risk management skills, governance and compliance.
* Ability and willingness to travel as required.
* Comfortable with stakeholder management but also able to work with colleagues at all levels of the business.
* Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
* Capability to negotiate individually and as part of a team.
* Excellent organisational skills - able to prioritise the workload.
- Minimum 6 years PQE (possibly less if the experience is comparable)
- UK Qaulified
* Commercially astute
* Able to think on their feet to assess risk and exercise sound judgement.
* Enthusiastic about negotiation of and advising on large scale contracts.
* Confident and have integrity sufficient to inspire trust and respect when dealing with people, regardless of their position or level.
* Takes ownership and accountability for achievement of business goals