Posted on Jan 31, 2019 by ACAPELLA RECRUITMENT
Our client's company exists to help mankind win the war against pathogens. They identify problems in microbiology that were previously impossible to solve and develop new technology to solve them. They are an exciting start-up backed by the UK's fastest growing pharmaceutical company aiming to revolutionise microbiology.
They are currently working with partners in the pharmaceutical manufacturing and veterinary diagnostics sector to develop their products:
1) SmartControl - Environmental monitoring software that seamlessly captures images of every sample to ensure data integrity with zero capital expenditure.
2) SwiftDetect - A rapid test that can detect the presence or absence of a single cell in a large volume in under six hours, using hybrid PCR technology.
What they're looking for
They are recruiting for a Research Scientist to join the SwiftDetect team to take a lead in developing and commercialising the SwiftDetect test. This highly sensitive microbial detection test will replace traditional sterility testing and validation activities within the pharmaceutical manufacturing sector. They are also developing the test for use in the veterinary diagnostic sector, with a current focus on bovine tuberculosis. This role will play a critical part in driving the company to success in taking their exciting technology from lab bench to commercially available products.
What you'll do
The research scientist will work in close collaboration with other scientists in the team, academic supervisors and company management. Your role will report directly in to the Head of Operations.
- Undertake the pilot studies and validation activities of the current test method for application across a variety of sectors.
- Undertake the development of the test for future applications, such as veterinary and clinical diagnostics applications, food and water testing etc.
- Aid in the development and set up of the laboratory to ensure GLP status is achieved.
- Provide support in the commercial testing services using the SwiftDetect test.
- Work on continuous improvements and developments of the test as it evolves for use in each of the sectors.
- Contribute to the design and development of test consumables, hardware and associated documentation in readiness for commercialisation of the SwiftDetect test.
- Undertake the routine validation and calibration of equipment and ensure adherence to maintenance requirements.
- Ensure stocks of laboratory consumables are maintained at sufficient levels, generate orders routinely and review deliveries for compliance.
- Champion the adherence to the principles of Good Laboratory Practice at all times.
- Ensure adherence to procedures, documentation of all results and the timely reporting of deviations and changes.
What they're looking for
- PhD in microbiology/molecular biology or related subject
- Good knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices and Control of Substances Hazardous to Health
- Excellent oral, interpersonal and written communications skills with exceptional attention to detail and ability to disseminate training in challenging and pressurised environments
- Someone with initiative and creativity to achieve objectives and overcome obstacles
- Someone with real tenacity who sees failures as an opportunity to learn
- Experience in molecular microbiology, microbiological culture, aseptic working and PCR based methodologies such as block based PCR and qPCR (probe/fluorescent dye).
- Working understanding or familiarity with whole genome sequencing, microbial genomics, bovine tuberculosis, antimicrobial resistance and pharmaceutical microbiology.
- Capability to explore and implement research into new areas for the SwiftDetect test
Even better if you have…
- Experience working within a GMP environment
- Experience working with rapid microbiological methods
- Familiarity with automated lab techniques and Python programming language
What you'll get
- Salary range £25,000 to £32,000 per annum
- 21 days holiday + 8 days bank holiday (increasing with service)
- Generous company pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Company bonus scheme (dependent on profit goals)
- Free breakfast and outdoor gym
- Funding and flexibility for new research projects
Our client is based in a new science park development in Corsham in the beautiful Wiltshire countryside, with easy commutes from Bath, Bristol and Chippenham.
Please apply with your CV and a cover letter ASAP.
Closing date for applications is - Sunday 10 th February 2019. Interviews will take place on the Wednesday 20 th February 2019. You will be contacted by Tuesday 12 th February 2019 if you have been shortlisted for an interview.