Programme Development Specialist
Posted on Jan 31, 2019 by HIGHWAYS ENGLAND
Your new role
We are currently recruiting for an experienced Programme Development Specialist to join our team in Birmingham. The successful candidate will be delivering a robust and systemic programme development and value management process for the Region, ensuring investment proposals and emerging solution designs meet intended outcomes and provide the best lifecycle value.
What you'll be leading on
* Work with key stakeholder to develop the region's 5-10 years forward programme of work, coordinating inputs and activities across multiple regional teams (e.g. Route Management and Asset Needs Management).
* Develop scheme project briefs and business cases for the forward programme, ensuring business outcomes are clearly articulated, and that all necessary stakeholders (e.g. engineering, design, delivery, supply chain teams etc.) provide inputs and are consulted on the development of proposed solutions / designs.
* Develop packages of work for scheme delivery suppliers (e.g. Design suppliers), ensuring that these accurately reflect the work required to address the asset need.
* Project management and coordinate feasibility studies and activities involved in early solution development.
* Manage programme development related activities within expected timescales and quality standards, ensuring activities are well planned and coordinated and that all supporting information and documents are effectively stored and controlled.
* Provide technical value management (VM) knowledge to assess proposed solutions / designs against overall costs and benefits; present proposals and recommendations to stakeholders (e.g. Route Managers, Asset Engineers) to agree sustainable solutions, with due regard to funding and delivery constraints.
* Evaluate VM implications for in-flight projects with significant design and/or scope deviation, and provide recommendations to inform management decision making.
To be successful
* Engineering qualifications and/or experience necessary to deliver professional opinion in support of technical solutions.
* Knowledge of highway assets and delivery mechanisms for highway projects
* Capable of engaging professional, technical and other suppliers/partners to maximise delivery
* Good presentation and communication skills to convey complex information to a wide audience and experience of managing stakeholder relationships
* Ability to prioritise workloads in order to meet tight deadlines.
* Evidence of working successfully with a range of internal and external stakeholders to achieve required outcomes
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We're proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you'll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.