Senior Reporter - West Lothian Courier
Posted on Jan 31, 2019 by Reach plc
This is an exciting opportunity to work in a busy newsroom of talented, self-driven journalists.
You must be able to deliver compelling content, generate on and off-dairy copy and demonstrate a good knowledge of social media.
The Courier needs a first-class communicator who can get into the heart of the community and deliver the exclusive stories which matter to the title's readers.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 540 million newspapers, and our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, viewed by 110m unique browsers every month.
- Sourcing original content, stories and features for digital and print
- Writing directly to the web as required to a high standard taking a 'right first-time' approach to all content and have a pedantic attitude to accuracy.
- Identifying breaking news by the correct use of social media as well as contacts, to know how to quickly establish further factual information, pictures, and video to enhance coverage.
- Submitting daily ideas to the Content Desk for stories that will engage our audience and stimulate debate and interaction.
- Assisting in building communities and brand visibility.
- Generating and publishing SEO-focused content to drive search traffic.
- Taking a leading role in creating exclusive content and developing relationships with key figures.
The Ideal Candidate
To qualify for an interview, candidates must demonstrate energy, drive and a passion for journalism which are essential for the role. The successful candidate may have a journalism qualification, ideally to NCTJ standard, in addition to recognised training in media law. Candidates with shorthand will be at an advantage in order to be successful in this role. A full driving licence is preferred.
In addition to competitive salaries, 35 days holiday (ex stats), and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts!
Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.