Content Editor - MyLondon
Posted on Jan 31, 2019 by Reach plc
We have an exciting opportunity to join the team at the new MyLondon website. The website aims to keep Londoners informed with all the latest breaking news from across the city. It also aims to entertain and to reflect the lives that Londoners are living, the commutes they are taking, the food they are eating.
MyLondon is designed for those of us who live and work in London, who love London, who know what's wrong with the capital but who think it is the best city in the world.
The website has merged the successful and popular Croydon Advertiser and GetWestLondon websites, drawing on our knowledge and experience of South and West London.
It is now also reporting on the north and east of the city with a mixture of breaking news and features that showcase what a brilliantly diverse place London is.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 540 million newspapers, and our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, viewed by 110m unique browsers every month.
Content editors focus on live news, advance content and audience targets. They are responsible for ensuring reporters produce enough content for every news content spike. Content editors are also responsible for monitoring the output and performance of reporters with audience goals. The main responsibilities will include:
- Manage live daily content flow in line with digital audience spikes to achieve digital audience targets.
- Use analytics tools to a high level to assess, review and scrutinise performance, trends, opportunities and potential issues.
- Regularly assess, review and feedback to individuals where they are in terms of hitting their audience goals.
- Feedback and analyse team and individual performances to senior editors on a regular basis.
- Ensure search engine-optimised, engaging articles are prepared and uploaded in line with audience demand and news spikes.
- Make informed decisions around content to drive traffic and engagement, using analytics and experience to maximise the opportunities for reach and performance.
- Plan content publication by scheduling, commissioning, editing and assessing content packages from reporters.
- Manage a team of multimedia journalists, providing clear briefings and feedback on content requirements as well as appropriate pastoral care.
- Ensure agreed workflows are followed and deadlines hit.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for someone who is full of ideas, who works well under pressure and who is confident editing reporters' copy quickly and accurately.
You may well be a talented and ambitious senior reporter looking for the next challenge in your career.
Or perhaps you are already a content editor or news editor and are excited by the prospect of playing a huge role in ensuring our new website make a name for itself.
We want someone who is highly motivated to do the best job they possibly can, has great news sense and will inspire our team of reporters.
You will also need to be a great team player and confident standing in for the editor when required.
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.