Sports Production Editor - Scottish Sunday Express
Posted on Jan 31, 2019 by Reach plc
The Scottish Sunday Express is looking for a Sports Production Editor to join our team here in our Glasgow newsroom. The successful candidate will have a key role on the sports production desk, being responsible for designing the Scottish Sunday Express pages in close conjunction with the art desk, producing snappy headlines that fit with the feel of the paper and making sure we use the right pictures.
You will deputise for the Scottish Daily Express Sports Production Editor on a regular basis when you will be in overall charge of the back bench.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 540 million newspapers, and our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, viewed by 110m unique browsers every month.
- Middle bench/back background on a national newspaper
- First-class knowledge of the current sporting scene plus the ability to place stories in an appropriate historical context
- Meet strict production deadlines without compromising editorial standards
- Leadership and management skills. Good communicator who can help lead a busy team
- Flair and creativity with words and design
- Excellent news judgment
- Drawing pages and writing headlines at speed
- Competent use of InDesign is essential
- Efficient handling of legal problems
- Excellent knowledge of media law
- Manage workflows effectively
- Work closely with all areas of production
- Effective organisation of the rota/shift patterns
The Ideal Candidate
- The ability to work under pressure and turn round pages on busy, live nights is absolutely essential
- Must be a team player
In addition to competitive salaries, 31 days holiday (inclusive of bank holidays) and a contributory pension scheme, we also offer an interest free travel season ticket loan and subsidised gym membership
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
On submitting your application you should receive a confirmation email - if you do not please contact us at